Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ManBertys
Level 8

Re: Roku won't connect to network unless pin reset after losing power

Having the same issues with the onN. roku Tv.  Factory re-set is the only way to get it the WiFi To work.  I guess we can’t shut the tv off?  Help!  Just purchased yesterday.  Our roku express works perfect in a different room/tv.

0 Kudos
bignic77
Level 7

I'm also running a Linksys WRT3200ACM, but using OpenWrt 19.07.3 (and now after encountering issues tried upgrading to 19.07.4) - I wanted to share my experience to hopefully help others.

Our device is a Roku express, and we've been using it for a couple of months now. When I first set it up, it connected the first time, but whenever I went into check my connection it failed and showed that it wasn't connected. From checking the connection, until reboot, nothing would work - it was like the checking the connection ironically broke the connection. However, I discovered that it would work from a fresh boot if I didn't check the connection and went straight on to us an app like Netflix or BBC iPlayer etc. So I could live with it and put it down to a quirk.

We then had a Roku update forced upon us. After that it wouldn't connect, presumably because of the firmware update (nothing had changed on the network, no updates, no config changes, no new devices - I even reflashed my router with my stored working config/firmware to be certain). So I carried out a pin reset in the back of the Roku - this is where it got worse. When doing the setup and scanning for wireless networks, none of my networks appeared. I spent the better part of a weekend applying trial and error changing settings - enabling only one of my networks, disabling all the other radios, changing the channel, changing the device country code, disabling KRACK countermeasures, etc, you name it.

I eventually got to trying to disable "Allow legacy 802.11b rates" (a.k.a "option legacy_rates '0'" in OpenWrt) which I had left with the default setting which was enabled. Disabling this allowed me to see my network once again and I was back to my initial behaviour before the Roku update was applied (although still with the quirks).

Hopefully this helps someone seeing similar behaviour.

goofygrin1
Level 7

This worked for me.  Thanks @bignic77 ! 

0 Kudos
Nurlan
Level 7

I have same problem, i think Roku does not support enterprise authentication with both a username and passport. 

for example: i just made i private wifi, but my NEW roku do not have LOGIN FIELD only password 

0 Kudos