Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku won't connect to network unless pin reset after losing power

Hello! I have a Roku Premiere (3920 series) , and it's always worked well prior to the past couple of weeks. There was a stretch of time where it was unhooked and put away, but a couple weeks ago, I hooked it back up. It would not connect to my wireless network no matter what I tried

As a bit of background, I am a technical support rep for a major ISP, and am a network hobbyist, so I really know my stuff, but this one has me stumped.

I have tried resetting my roku, and resetting my router.  (Linksys WRT 3200 ACM) I have even flashed the firmware in my router and made sure it's up to date, running the latest official Linksys firmware. (No DD-WRT or OpenWRT here.) I don't typically have connectivity issues other than some occasional issues with one particular Amazon Echo (which I bought refurbished, so I suspect it's just "special", anyway)

Sorry to be a bit rambling, but the one thing that allows me to connect again is to pin reset the Roku. I can't use the factory reset from inside the settings menu, I have to use a paper clip and push the pin reset hole on the back. This will allow me to connect to the network ONE TIME. As long as the Roku maintains power and is just in standby while the TV is off, all is well. The moment it gets unplugged or I lose power for any reason, or if I tell it to restart, it stops connecting. I get error 014.62 and there's nothing I can do to make it reconnect other than once again pin resetting it.

This is obviously not ideal since I have to reinstall everything and log into everything again. It's less than a year old, so I sure hope it's not just dead now. I am kind of hoping to find more people with this problem so we can say it's a software issue and Roku can patch it.

Cheers! Looking forward to any feedback!

Labels (1)
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku won't connect to network unless pin reset after losing power

@Garylisk Thanks for reaching out.

Take a look through our tips for improving your wireless connection here to see if there is anything you may not have tried yet: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

If those steps aren't helping clear things up, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I will help get you in touch with our support team for more assistance. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Bumping this.

I have the exact same issue. Different Roku, I have an Roku Express (3930, 3931 series) (3930x), but stock firmware Linksys WRT 3200 ACM and wont connect after a reboot.

Also add in some more symptoms of the issue, it wont connect to my phones WiFi network after such a reboot either. When I was first setting the device up, I had to use said phones WiFI network to go trough setup and update, then I could connect to the 3200 ACM; same process after pin reset as well.

Some trouble shooting I've tried. I noted issues relating to 2.4ghz networks and mixed SSIDs surrounding the 3200 ACM so I pulled the 5ghz network, set the 2.4ghz channel to 6 with a set channel width of 20mhz, tried both 802.11g and 802.11n only but to no avail. It seems, at least for me, that post this reboot it refuses to connect to any other network.

EDIT:

Is it possible to corroborate the WiFi chips between these devices? https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/specs/hardware.md was no real help on that front, but it will be useful to know what these devices are actually using.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Legoren 

Thanks for the information.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on the device and setting it up again to see if that resolves your issue of being able to connect the device to your wireless network?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset on your device, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

Hi Danny, yes did another factory reset (From with in the device, not the pin) to be sure and the issue persists after that.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Legoren 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem with Roku express 3900x. My router is brand new, updated, and works perfectly with every other device, including another Roku in a different room. I have tried everything others have discussed. Incredibly frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same thing here. Roku Premiere, Linksys WRT 3200 ACM, OpenWrt 19.07.2. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

How do I pm Tanner to send him my email, model and serial numbers?

I clicked on his profile, then clicked to pm him, typed out a full email, then it gives an error message saying pm isn't enabled for him.

Seriously, I am ready to chuck my Roku into the ocean after all of this.

My wireless went out unexpectedly for three hours yesterday -- everything else reconnected with no problem -- except the Roku. Have tried every single troubleshooting trick the guide gives. UGH.

0 Kudos