Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nella
Level 7

Roku won’t connect to internet

Roku can’t find networks. Computer & phone connects just fine. Where is the support!?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku won’t connect to internet

First, what model Roku do you have? Model number, please, not its name.

Many Roku players only support the 2.4 GHz WiFi band. They also don't support all possible channels on that band. So, first check your router to examine its configuration. You need to make sure the 2.4 GHz radio is enabled (some ISPs that control the router have recently been turning 2.4 GHz off), and make sure it's using channel 1 through 11. If it's using 12, 13 or 14, your Roku will not see it.

Now, if your Roku support 5 GHz, there are still channel limitations. Roku devices cannot use what are labeled DFS channels, so on this band your router needs to be using a channel below 49 or above 148.

Most routers are set to Auto for channel assignment, so I recommend manually assigning the channel. On 2.4 GHz, you should use 1, 6 or 11. Only these three will not overlap each other. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Nella
Level 7

None of that worked 

0 Kudos
atc98092

You didn't answer my first question: what is your Roku model number?

Has it ever worked, or are you stuck trying to set up a new player? You haven't provided much detail, so we have to keep asking questions. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Nella
Level 7

Yes it was working just fine then it did this... 

model number 3910RW - Roku Express +

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks. That player is 2.4 GHz only, so we can ignore 5 GHz. 

Does the Roku see any other wireless networks, just not yours? Can you test to see if it works on a phone hotspot? 

If it's seeing other networks, but not yours, then the problem is not with the Roku. Somewhere there's a setting in your router that is making it incompatible with the Roku. If it doesn't see any networks, including a phone hotspot, then it's likely the Roku has had a hardware failure. 

Dan

0 Kudos