Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebelsrose6165
Reel Rookie

Lost connection to iPhone hotspot

Jump to solution

Every other time I take my iPhone (my Hot Spot) out of the house, I have trouble getting Roku to recognize it when I return. I have reset/restarted BOTH the phone and the Roku Express unit multiple times and I have to fight this problem at least twice a week. Getting really fed up and ready to return it!

Traveler
Channel Surfer

Re: Use iPhone as a hotspot data only no Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

I use the Verizon Wireless iPhone 6se personal hotspot with a Roku Express to watch SlingTv on my LG LCD flatscreen TV.  Had no problem connecting until a week ago when I updated the iPhone operating system and upgraded my Verizon connection.  All of a sudden no connection.  I was able to connect through my Verizon Jetpack.  Started with Verizon technical support, they tried but no success, went through SlingTv technical support with no success. Contacted Apple support..no success. I must say all technical support people tried everything they could think of to get connection service. I could actually feel their frustration that they couldn't help me.  Several frustrating days later I found this community discussion group, read Dan's suggestion to try network reset, tried it, and SUCCESS.  Thanks Dan.. couldn't believe it was that easy...

c2p2
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express iPhone Connection Error

Jump to solution

We have had a problem with this for about 2 months.  Our Roku connects to our Samsung devices, but with our IPhone device, we continue to get the error code 14.40.  Please let me know if this is a phone problem or a Roku problem.

Thanks

Amberk

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue husbands galaxy will connect to my Roku every time even automatically but my iPhone 11 won’t connect. It will say it’s a discovered network but says there’s no internet connection 

0 Kudos
Traveler
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My problem appeared after the 13.3 Apple update so I assumed it was an Apple issue but it may be a Roku connection through the 13.3 update.  I have an Apple 6se.  I was able to do a fix but now that's gone and I can't connect again.

I'm hearing this issue across the Apple cell phone spectrum.  It also won't connect with my older Compaq laptop using Windows 7 professional but will connect through the Lenovo Notebook using Windows 10.  Guess I'll file a complaint with Roku and Apple and see what happens. 

0 Kudos

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution

Did you get any help??

0 Kudos
Traveler
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot connect to roku with my hotspot on iPhone 11

Jump to solution

Yes.  I have the 6se so I don't know if this will work for you but in the iphone I go to "settings" "general" scroll all the way down to "reset" then "reset network controls".  I did reset all settings one time and it messed up my home screen so do the network controls.    One time I had to redo my password but I changed it to the same password and that worked. 

There are secret menus on Roku Express to access them and do a factory Roku reset  I did this..

Press the Home button five times, press the Fast Forward (FF) three times, press the Rewind (RW) button twice.

• This menu will allow you to factory reset, run a USB test, and update the server or software. Use this one at your own risk.

You have to do it fairly quick, fast and in sequence or it won't work.

Good Luck. 

0 Kudos
cricketcraven
Channel Surfer

Cannot connect to roku with hotspot on iPhone XR

Jump to solution

I’m unable to connect my Roku to my hotspot. I’ve only had the Roku for a few weeks.  It worked for the first few days and was connecting to my hotspot. Then it quit being able to connect. It won’t pick up my iPhone hotspot.  I thought it was a cell phone issue but my other devices are able to pick up the iPhone signal over Blutooth tooth with no problem. Very disappointed that I can’t use the Roku.

0 Kudos
Traveler
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot connect to roku with my hotspot on iPhone XR

Jump to solution

Believe it or not...what worked one time for me..on your iphone personal hotspot password info..delete the password put it or another password in and update it.. roku will ask you to confirm new password and then I was able to connect.   Also..if you have not tried the reset info above try that.  You're right..something in the Roku is not recognizing the signal from the iphone.  I had to keep trying different things and I complained to Apple that I was going to get a different phone..then within 2 days I was connecting again.  Good Luck. 

0 Kudos
cricketcraven
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot connect to roku with my hotspot on iPhone XR

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the advice!  I just tried the thing with the password and it’s still not picking up iPhone as a network. I reset network settings on phone and Roku. I initiated a factory reset on Roku so I’m stuck at the beginning now trying to connect.  I spent a couple weeks troubleshooting with my cell service provider and I’m sure that’s not the problem.  They’ve got my hotspot running super charged now and still not connecting.  As I mentioned, the other devices in my home are able to pick up the iPhone network. I bought this Roku mid March when I found out we’d be quarantined in NYC, it’s such a bummer it’s not working we are desperate for some entertainment. 

0 Kudos