Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Traveler
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot connect to roku with my hotspot on iPhone XR

Jump to solution

I do feel for you.  I don't have world access except through my internet.  They may not let me comment on this in but..I am with Verizon they let me buy an extra Jetpack for $20 a month with an extra 15GB and they added an extra 15GB to my account at no charge.  Others may be doing the same.  Also, downloaded, SlingTV for $30 a month and watch it on my phone which is giving me 75 GB a month.  Your cell connection may do the same.  Still I like my Roku and I sure hope you get it corrected. 

0 Kudos
cricketcraven
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response & concern. I also have Verizon and they’re always accommodating. I’m happy with their service. I’m convinced this is a Roku matter now. Gonna keep at it until it works. 

0 Kudos
Traveler
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So after our conversation I messed mine up and couldn't reconnect.  Finally did below and just did a complete reset.  That fixed it. 

Here's the code to get to the secret menu screen 1:

Press the Home button five times, press the Fast Forward (FF) three times, press the Rewind (RW) button twice.

• This menu will allow you to factory reset, run a USB test, and update the server or software. Use this one at your own risk.

0 Kudos
JStack81

Re: Use iPhone as a hotspot data only no Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

This worked!!! Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Capvermell
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes the hidden factory reset process worked for me to get round the can't log on to my GiffGaff Android wifi hotspot problem but I note there was also a factory reset option in the White Square with blue bottomed Now Tv box's menus but I didn't use that and that only tried using the network reset meny as I thought that was all that was necessary.

The box then managed to connect to my GiffGaff network wifi hotspot on my Android phone with the the old NowTv factory reset software version but annoyingly Now Tv insisted on having a live credit card before it would complete the software update process.

Yet I am suppose to be able to use this device to view Free To Air players etc.  Hopefully I can go in to the account settings and stop any payments from being taken.  Still only on App 10 of 16, The Sky Store.  Can't really believe such a small box holds so much firmware in memory.

Needed to do all this because my YouView box doesn't have a wifi connection and my ADSL2+ modem had broken so as a short term measure I had upped my GiffGaff plan to the £20 with 80Gb data offering instead of the previous 6Gb for £10 plan.  And the Android phone only offers a wifi hotspot connection.

Now seems to be downloading what seems like many Gb of data to update all the software on the box.  Hope it won't be too many Gb of my remaining 40Gb of 80Gb allowance with 9 days out of 30 still to go......

0 Kudos
Capvermell
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So just to report after what seemed like ages (half an hour plus even with 4G with a connection speed of about 10Mbps) all software and apps are finally updated and no problem connecting to my GiffGaff Wifi Hotspot on my Android phone.

So basically Now Tv had released a version of their software the last time I used it (a year or so ago) that seemed to object to using a Wifi Hotspot because it had got stuck on the idea of a wifi connection to my now broken ADSL2+ router and the reset network settings meny didn't fix that and only factory reset did.  Or alternatively the last version of the Now Tv software was blocked against using a GiffGaff Android Wifi Hotspot even though the original factory reset NowTv software didn't have that problem and the very latest version just downloaded doesn't have it.

So seems like some stupidity or other by either Sky or Roku who produce the hardware.

However I have to say that the version of the IPlayer on this Now Tv white and blue square Roku manufactured box is horribly slow compared to the version of the IPlayer on my YouView box (all the menus take ages to appear and change and it takes ages for a program to start playing) so I can only presume that the Roku streaming device has a very slow processor on board....

Also annoying that NowTv demanded a credit card to complete the software setup when its simply not required for the free apps on the box from BBC, ITV, C4 and Five and my Now Tv account setup clearly shows no plans active or payments due to be taken even though it has my credit card details that it won't let me delete!

Also because I hadn't loged in for ages it wouldn't recognise my original email address for password reset but it then also refused to use that email address when I tried to set up a new account with it.  So I was forced to set up a new account with a different email address.

Anyway this NowTv box finally works again and now with GiffGaff and an Android mobile wifi hotspot and there is also no subscription to use Free Apps like the Iplayer despite the unnecessary demand for a credit card to update all the apps and others software on the NowTv/Roku boxSmiley Mad

0 Kudos
Jko9100

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone X hotspot 12/15/2019

Jump to solution

It’s definitely Roku!  Pisses me off.  Roku, read and f****** do something!  Fix it so we don’t have to jump through hoops to use our Roku with our iPhone WiFi!  Aren’t there enough of us complaining to get you to?  My husband emailed about this over a month ago because you no longer have phone support!  No reply in over a month!  Unacceptable.  Shall we all shout out on social media to get you to fix it?

0 Kudos
cricketcraven
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, very disappointing. I keep trying to see if it will work after over two months of being quarantined in New York. It still does not work. I haven’t been able to watch a thing for months now. 

0 Kudos
Capvermell
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Use the Hidden Menu Factory Reset process and not the Factory Reset in the box's own menus and if that doesn't work use a pin in the RESET button on the back of the box to Factory Reset it.

Hidden Factory Reset Menu process is detailed at https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Now-tv-box/td-p/488878#

0 Kudos
Capvermell
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Use the hidden Factory Reset menu process detailed at https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Now-tv-box/td-p/488878# or if that doesn't work stick a pin in the RESET button hole on the back of the box to carry out the Factory Reset process but don't use the Factory Reset process in the normal menus on the box.

This updates the software on the box to the latest version and also overcomes all the can't connect to wifi network issues.

0 Kudos