Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heiney13
Channel Surfer

Use iPhone as a hotspot data only no Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

I live in a rule area I have an unlimited data plan on my phone I wanted to use it as a hotspot to watch Netflix on my Roku I have done this in the past but it will not connect it does not acknowledge my iPhone what am I doing wrong? I do not have Wi-Fi

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use iPhone as a hotspot data only no Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

@Heiney13 wrote:

I live in a rule area I have an unlimited data plan on my phone I wanted to use it as a hotspot to watch Netflix on my Roku I have done this in the past but it will not connect it does not acknowledge my iPhone what am I doing wrong? I do not have Wi-Fi

First question is what model Roku you have, model number, not the name. The first step to try is to go into your settings menu and find the Network Reset and do that. On your Roku, Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset. Not a factory reset, just the network. If that doesn't work, check your passcode on the iPhone and see if it has any special characters, as in anything except just letters and numbers. If it does, change the passcode to something with only letters (upper/lower case is fine) and numbers. Let us know if you still have issues after that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Heiney13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have just the basic Roku streaming stick the original purple not sure the model number. I believe it’s eight 3500 are?

0 Kudos
Heiney13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku doesn’t give me the options of a network reset under settings only to search for one. 

0 Kudos
Heiney13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

3500x model 

0 Kudos
Heiney13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I found  the Network connection reset function and did it still does not recognize my phone. My password is eight letters nothing special I have the Bluetooth and hotspot turned on on my phone it’s an iPhone 6s it doesn’t recognize it

Bumper2004
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Brand new Roku Streaming Stick+: Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV...

My use case is not typical, but very valid. I am using a Roku stick to stream apps into my car entertainment system. Android hotspot works, iPhone X hotspot does not.

I plugged the brand new roku streaming stick on to my car's HDMI. Powered it up. Upgraded the software to the latest and greatest. It connects to WiFi & I am able to stream content ok.

I am able to connect to my wife's Android Mobile hotspot & stream content. Works ok.

However, if i turn on my iPhone X's personal hotspot, the hotspot does not even show up as an available WiFi network. I tried Network connection reset that is suggested in the thread, but it makes no difference. My password is all lower case and numbers. 

Only thing that actually works is the below:

* Connect Roku to a WiFi network.

* Connect iPhone X to the same WiFi network and then turn on personal hotspot

* Then rescan the WiFi network. This time Roku spots the iPhone's mobile hotspot and i can now connect successfully. 

I can now drive the car & the connectivity stays up. But at some point when i stop the car & power it down & then start the car back, Roku powers up again. But it can no longer see my iPhone X's hotspot when it boots up (as i no longer have the option of connecting roku & iPhone to a common wifi network to hook them up again). This seems like a flaw in Roku

This is appalling that this issue has been reported by so many users for close to a year and it has still not been addressed. Makes me lose hope on Roku which i thought was a good product. 

Come on guys, fix it!

Mileyls

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution

I have reset all network setting and even restarted my tv also reset network settings on my phone and it will say that it has wireless connection but no internet connection. 

romstead
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution

Yes I feel your pain. I too have the same issues. sometimes it works. and some time it does not. I will do as have. and reboot my tv and phone then reset the network settings and turn the hot spot button on then off a few times in my phone and hope for the best.. If all else fails I turn on my apple TV stream box and connect my Iphone X to that. And that seems to work everytime. I do wish Roku would fix this issue. as so many folks are having the same issues

Otterhouz

Unable to connect to iPhone hotspot, still an issue.

Jump to solution

Since last year I’m still trying to have my Roku connect to my iPhone as it did about 1 year ago.  

Whatever is going on that requires the ssid to be cleared and network connection reconfigured is a pain it the **bleep**.

I wonder if it is the OS on the Roku or the iPhone? For the past year plus I have had a normal wifi setup without issues, the one time I needed it to work with my share and it failed last fall since then I figured out by reading this website that I could reset the network connection and it would work.

Im glad it works with a workaround but I would rather it work as designed and be less time consuming and more reliable 

thx