Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmoughiman

Roku won’t connect to iPhone hotspot - OS 9.2

Jump to solution

I have a iPhone 8 that used to connect using hot spot to our roku player without issue. Recently, in the past month or two it has not been working. My boxes have been updated to the 9.2.0 software, I have reset the network settings in both roku and my phone which will work but the next day I’m back to square one. It’s quite frustrating to have to reset everything every time I want to watch something. Is there a better long term solution?

Jackie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use iPhone as a hotspot data only no Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

@Heiney13 wrote:

I live in a rule area I have an unlimited data plan on my phone I wanted to use it as a hotspot to watch Netflix on my Roku I have done this in the past but it will not connect it does not acknowledge my iPhone what am I doing wrong? I do not have Wi-Fi

First question is what model Roku you have, model number, not the name. The first step to try is to go into your settings menu and find the Network Reset and do that. On your Roku, Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset. Not a factory reset, just the network. If that doesn't work, check your passcode on the iPhone and see if it has any special characters, as in anything except just letters and numbers. If it does, change the passcode to something with only letters (upper/lower case is fine) and numbers. Let us know if you still have issues after that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
Plkt9601

Unable to connect to iPhone or update to 9.2

Jump to solution
I am unable to connect wirelessly to my iPhone or update. Open to all suggestions!!
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to connect to iPhone or update to 9.2

Jump to solution

@Plkt9601 wrote:
I am unable to connect wirelessly to my iPhone or update. Open to all suggestions!!

If you have a special character (@, #, $, etc.) in the password you might have trouble getting a Roku to connect. I have two iPhone XRs, and I have connected two different Roku devices to them both without issue. My password is letters and numbers only.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
romstead
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Jump to solution

Yes I to have to start from square one. and go though to entire procedure if my TV has lost it's connection to my iphone. Some times I have to reboot my phone first as well as unplugging my Rokuy tv and then plugging it back in. Then start the procedure of re-setting the network connection by using the on screen menue. This is a real pain but I can get it to work most of the time. I live in a RV and travel all over the country . I have Two devices that can connect to the roku tv one is a Verizon mifi and my iphone 10 which is 0n the ATT net. The Verizion mifi connects with no issues. but my Iphone  which is on the ATT net is the problem child connecting.The good thing about having Two devices on Two Cell Net's is if one is slow the other may be fast. and If your traveling around the country this is a good thing. I do wish the iphone and rouku could learn to play nice. 

Jonjon101
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone X hotspot 12/15/2019

Jump to solution

ok this is ridiculous

Ive reset network and it will connect.. Then when i change to another router it connects.  Now I go back to iphone and it wont connect.

But then  reset network again and it connects.     Do the same thing and it wont connect.  Theres something wrong with roku software.  Fix it 

mrdungtran

Roku TV will not connect to iPhone hotspot.

Jump to solution

My RokuTV, about 3 months old, will no longer connect to my iPhone hotspots. As these are my only internet connections this has rendered my RokuTV worthless to me... Anyone have any advice?

p/s : thank @huydung

Cannot connect to roku with my hotspot on iPhone 11

Jump to solution

My BF has no problems connecting his hotspot to the roku and when I had my galaxy 8 plus I had no issues either , upgraded to the new iPhone 11 & I cannot connect to the roku whatsoever keeps saying it picks up my wireless connection but when it gets down to internet connection there’s a red X

aham42

Jump to solution

I still can't reliably connect to my iPhone 11 Max just as I was never able to reliably connect to my iPhone X before that. After resetting over and over again I can sometimes get it to connect and once it connects it works fine. Most of the time I need to rescan several times to find my hotspot and then when I connect it starts to connect and then immediately disconnects. 

I've tried all of the solutions in this thread. None work.

romstead
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did you try pulling the plug on the Tv. To reset the TV. then do a Hard Reset on your phone first then reset all the network connections  then try to connect. If I do not see my iphone's hotspot on the scan list I cycle the share hot spot button on and off on my phone untill I see it on the scann list.  this worked for me if I did it in that order 

Jonjon101
Reel Rookie

iPhone and hotspot issues

Jump to solution

Ok Roku, it’s time to address this issue.  For years I’ve been able to connect to my iPhone and my iPad hotspot.  I also have two with routers in my home.  First connecting to routers no issues. 

But for months connecting to iPhone or iPad hotspot has been next to impossible. I’ve even replaced one roku thinking it was hardware related and not software. all Rokus are at latest software issues. 

scenerio: If you reset your network settings on Roku and connect hotspot most often it will connect. Then later if you change and connect to one of your other routers Wi-Fi that will connect. But then if you try to go back to the hotspot on the iPhone or the iPad it will not connect. Sometimes you will get a Wi-Fi connection but it will not link with the Internet connection saying no Internet available. Obviously this is incorrect.

But if you go back and reset your network settings on the Roku it will connect normally. But if you ever change to another Wi-Fi source and try to go back to the hotspot it will not happen unless you reset the network settings.

but if you go back and reset your network settings on the Roku it will connect normally. But if you ever change to another Wi-Fi source and try to go back to the hotspot it will not happen unless you reset the network settings.

There’s obviously something wrong with in the Roku and or the Roku software causing this  
Please address this issue and send an email after you’ve done so. This is most frustrating and makes myself as well as other clients want to try the fire stick or the Apple TV and I’ve been with Roku for years.

please address this issue and send an email after you’ve done so. This is most frustrating and makes myself as well as other clients want to try the fire stick or the Apple TV and I’ve been with Roku for years.

After much research and going back-and-forth I do not think this is an Apple issue because previously there was absolutely no issue.  And the fact that you can do a network setting on the Roku and connect shows that something within the software that conflict ding