Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jondgrant
Level 7

Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Just bought a new Roku Streaming Stick Plus. Out of the box it connected to my iPhone XR’s hotspot without issue. After the Roku updated it’s software and rebooted, it will no longer connect to the mobile hotspot. It connects to other Wifi networks without issue.

In my limited knowledge and research, it appears that perhaps the DFS channels that the iPhone broadcasts on do not play nice with the Roku. This is odd since pre-software update things worked fine.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
99 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Thanks for the note. 

While we don't typically recommend using mobile hotspot connections for streaming, I'd like to gather a few more details here to see what may be causing the issue. Please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, and the version of iOS that your device currently has installed. Feel free to include any other details or steps you've attempted to try an resolve the issue. I'll follow up directly from there to see how else we can help.  

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jeffzbell
Level 7

Having the same issue. My dad and I have used our iPhone X’s as a hotspot for months. As of last week, can’t connect to the hotspot. Roku recognizes the wireless network ID but fails to connect.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jeffzbell

Thanks for reaching out. Please PM me with the info I mentioned above and I'll follow up directly to see what else we can do to help.

Cheers, 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Just to rule something out, ensure the hotspot passwords contain only letters & numbers. Roku and some special characters don’t play well together.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffzbell
Level 7

@dbdukes

Thanks for the idea. I don’t have any special characters in my hotspot password.
0 Kudos
atc82
Level 7

I have the same issue. Roku will not connect to iPhone XSMax hotspot (both mine and my wife’s), but connects to other WiFi networks with no problems.
0 Kudos
KimberDon
Level 7

I am having the same problem with my iPhone SX Max. Is there a solution? It used to work and now does not. Everything else I have works with my iPhone X hotspot and the Roku recognizes it but cannot connect. The roku connects to other hotspots such as my partners Samsung. Help please.
0 Kudos
Yossip112
Level 7

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone X hotspot

I have the same issue with my iPhone X. I used to use my iPhone hotspot for months without a problem and now it just doesn’t want to connect. I have no idea what or why Roku did this. I would love if they had a way to resolve this unbearable issue.
0 Kudos

Same problem here, looking for any answers
I have a iPhone XS Max, I used to use my Samsung S8 hotspot for my Roku all the time, haven’t been able to since I upgraded to the iPhone. It did connect and play one time, I of course walked out of range with my phone in my pocket and I haven’t been able to connect it since. Roku player recognizes my iPhone, tries to connect to it and fails.
0 Kudos