Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Id423
Visitor

Roku won’t connect to hotspot

My hotspot was working perfectly fine before on the roku and now it won’t connect. It connects to other devices so it’s not the hotspot it’s the roku

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku won’t connect to hotspot

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

In general, we don't recommend using mobile hotspots to connect a Roku device. 

You can see more tips for troubleshooting a wireless network connection outlined here: https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kroninn

Yeah, well, I guess my two Rokus will go in the garbage and be replaced with a competitor that will.  Roku used to connect to my hotspot.  Even my Xbox does.  It doesnt seem like a technology problem but. Some other reason.  That must be why Jeff Bezos has all the market share.  He creates things people want.  I hope all do the same.  Here's some advice,  make and maintain product flexibility or you will end up in the trash heap of failed tech companies.

knisical
Reel Rookie

I'm having hotspot issues as well. The Roku express won't even show my hotspots as available networks. Tried from my iPhone, iPad, and from my vehicle hotspot. It notices and connects to my home network without issues. From reading multiple posts online, this seems to be something that was done around Aug/Sept 2020, as there are a bunch of reports at that time of "failing to connect to hotspot" despite previously being able to connect. 

Unfortunately, as Roku responded that they do not recommend hotspots, I'll go back to my FireStick which had no issues. I was hoping for the Roku because it was easier to airplay.

At the very least, if Roku recommends against hotspot use, it should clarify if they actually prevent hotspots (Roku imposing their discretion), or whether they simply don't recommend them due to data caps (customer's discretion).

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Make sure you're using a 2.4GHz hotspot and not 5GHz.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
knisical
Reel Rookie

@renojim wrote:

Make sure you're using a 2.4GHz hotspot and not 5GHz.

You're right! Thats the issue! Thank you.

0 Kudos
raymond38
Reel Rookie

Are you saying If I have a 5G phone, It won't connect? I have a ROKU 3920X and It works fine from My home wifi but I went camping and trying to use my phone as a hot spot and It wouldn't connect. It shows My phone when I scan for networks but I click on It, not having to use a password, and It won't connect. Just the red x says can't connect. Anybody know why?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

The 5G cellphone networking standard (which means 5th generation) has nothing to do with the 5GHz (5 gigahertz) Wi-Fi frequency band.  They are just coincidentally very similar-sounding.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@raymond38, your 3920 only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, so ensure your phone's hotspot is configured to use 2.4GHz and a channel from 1 to 11.  I believe your phone's hotspot wouldn't show up if it wasn't already configured that way, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
raymond38
Reel Rookie

I got It resolved by calling Verizion again. The first time they told me It was on Roku. The second time the representative worked with me to change the password and restart Roku and was able to connect.