Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techbasher
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

So, to summarise, over the past few days, weeks and months, several previously happy Roku customers have had their wireless streaming devices mysteriously fail to connect to wireless networks. 

In some cases this has been "old faithful" devices which have simply performed the latest in a long line of updates, in other cases it has been "box fresh" devices just back from the store that connect wirelessly with no trouble, perform their first-time over-the-air update and then mysteriously experience the same issue.

Self-proclaimed expert @boogernose has the answer, it's our routers!  Yep, they have seen it all before, it's not Roku's fault, this has been going on for years, it's always the router.  Everything else on the home network is fine, we all have completely different tech setups but they "know" it's the router.  Stop blaming Roku people!

@boogernoseknows because they are a "retired" sysadmin.  Well, perhaps it rhymes with retired, starts with an "f" and is a less dignified way to leave a company but stop blaming Roku for the inability of our routers to handle Roku's invincible hardware and software!

Except wait, many of us actually know what we're talking about.  We have knowledge, experience and the scientific method.  We poke holes in the already threadbare theories of @boogernose and kindly ask them to desist and leave the swimming area.

But no, @boogernose laughs and pities our worthless consumer electronics from Roku.  We are fools for buying these Roku devices!  @boogernose started out like us mortals on Roku Express but once they were up to a habit of twenty a day, they realised the error of their ways and they needed a bigger hit so moved on to the harder stuff.

@boogernoseuses ULTRA.  ULTRA uses better components, more expensive components, the BEST components.  They use better physics, more expensive physics, the BEST physics.

@boogernosebecause, well, this bit IS clever, booger knows.

Or or course, @boogernose could be a mischievous twelve year old playing pranks on the olds just for kicks on a community help board.  @boogernose sure does act like an emotionally underdeveloped confused mess, in which case, well done @boogernose, you are the awesome-est troll, you win the internet, take the rest of the week off.

Akglenn225
Streaming Star

@techbasher🤣🤣🤣 the battle of wits and cleverness has concluded. Winner? Clearly @techbasher

@boogernose, there’s nothing wrong with losers... or people less fortunate than you. You should strive to be a better person but since I doubt that will happen... at least save your efforts of bullying because it doesn’t work on emotionally secure, stronger minded people like us. Also, we’re just really tired of your insufferable arrogance. 

Shelster

Having the same problem. New TCL Roku tv working perfectly until a few days ago. What’s going on???

0 Kudos
wallydog
Binge Watcher

I have a TCL roku TV and an express . The TV started loosing connection and reconnecting constantly on ver. 9.3 . The express lost my network entirely on 9.4 . Factory reset on the TV stays on 9.3. Factory reset on the express doesn't  find my network ..

This is 2020 Roku should not expect users to be technicians . I do not know what's behind their firmware decisions . I think the problems started with the addition of the ability to disconnect from networks for data saving .

Also factory resets do not go back to the original firmware , so in some cases they are basically  useless .

The tv can be reset and during setup I chose not to connect to the internet . And   now use it with another brand of streaming stick the TV works fine .The express cannot be used on my wifi and I now am using another brand .

Roku you have flaws in your firmware , you need to carefully inspect the data saving routines .

Akglenn225
Streaming Star

@wallydog I wondered why the express wasn’t fixed after the factory reset I did. That’s curious that it stayed at the updated version.

So many mysteries. No wonder I’m still interested in this issue, I switched brands already too. I can not get work done with my 10 year old not entertained and he’s the best when it comes to breaking entertainment devices so the obvious solution are these sticks and a non smart tv.  (Yeah, he broke a Sony smart tv 4 months ago, 2nd best tv we had. Just knocked it over while leaning back in a 4 legged chair)

boogernose
Roku Guru

You guys are clearly upset and frustrated.

I'm dont want to sound condescending.

What I'm trying to say is I think you are expecting far too much

from a 30 dollar appliance. It doesnt seem reasonable to me.

I have always had more upper end Roku's and never have had

such negative experiences. If you buy the cheapest thing available

......its common sense.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Akglenn225
Streaming Star

Another mystery... why booger still thinks this problem only affects the inexpensive versions of Roku products. 

boogernose
Roku Guru

@Akglenn225 

You just got here. Youve been on this forum for not long.

And only on this tring.

I've been following this problem for months.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Please stop addressing me. And go back to fixing your problem.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
tee_run
Binge Watcher

@Akglenn225 and @techbasher  thanks for all your positive feedback. I do appreciate your approaches. 

I've actually solved my problem. I called Spectrum and their tech support suggested i go to the Spectrum store and get a new modem. Brought it home, plugged and played and now my 4 Roku devices are all connected again!!!! Yes @boogernose even my cheap $30 basic Roku device. Seems I didn't need to upgrade my Roku device to the most expensive model. 

For those that are still experiencing this issue, I would recommend getting a new modem., especially if your ISP is Spectrum. 

Akglenn225
Streaming Star

@tee_run @Thanks for the tip! The solutions make the problem more and more curious to me. Not everyone with this problem has spectrum, unfortunately. It begs the question though, what kind of updating is Roku doing that has the power to affect the modem?

It reminds me of an issue I had a couple years ago with my work email. For some reason, all of a sudden, I could not access my email from my home anymore and after tech support got involved, they found that the mail domain was blocking my IP address so spectrum had to change it by giving me a new router/modem (before I upgraded and needed separate router and modem). As soon as they changed it, I was able to access my emails. It was just that mail domain that I couldn’t access, just like now it’s just the Roku being affected. 

Weird. 

0 Kudos