Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Roku won’t connect to WiFi but all other devices in house work!

What is your Roku Model number?

How far is it from the Router?

Does the Roku see the wifi signal? How strong?

What is the Roku saying exactly? does it give you an error code?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Network-Troubleshooting-Help/m-p/51...

If youve exhausted all that you can send a PM to @RokuDanny-R  or @Jeff_D 

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We first recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

We would also recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps for network issues provided by our Support pages here: 
What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

- If you have a Roku Express/Premiere, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to, as those devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If you still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing and the answers to the above questions. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Last night this same WiFi problem happened for me on a second TV using a Roku Express+.  I also run my main TV on a Roku Ultra which continues to work fine.  Here are some particulars:

Roku Express+ was working fine until last night when I turned the TV on and it was disconnected from my WiFi network, and was unable to reconnect.
I have not made any changes to my network in a long time, the Express+ was just disconnected when I turned it on and won't reconnect.
The Express+ has been in use since March 2, 2020 with no issues.
Express+ sees my WiFi network in the list along with the usual ones nearby.
Express+ will not connect, it fails every time I try. I have input the password again and still it won't connect.
My Roku Ultra on my main TV continues to work fine although it is connected via Ethernet.
Other WiFi devices (computers, phones) work fine as usual on WiFi.
My WiFi network is a Apple TimeCapsule with an Apple AirPort Express repeater near the affected TV.

This morning I tried some of the troubleshooting steps listed here. I shut everything down including my router and both WiFi devices. I brought the network back up and then only tried connected the affected Ultra+ with no success. The other laptops and phones were then connected and worked fine as usual.

My wife is working now and needs WiFi up so I can't bring the network down again until this evening, but I don't have much faith that'll work anyway. I'm going to read thru this thread again to see if there are other things I can try, but suggestions are very much welcome. On one hand it's good to see I'm not the only one having this issue.

follow up on my post above.  I have a second guest WiFi network that I allow visitors to use when they need it so I turned it on and tried it with my Roku Express+ and it connected and works. I have no idea why.  Both that and my main WiFi network are 5 GHz.  I don't have time to mess with it now because I'm working but later on I'll try to switch back to the main network and see if it works again. I usually have it off and I change the password more frequently so I'd prefer to keep my Roku on my main WiFi.

Skaskillia

After trying all of the aforementioned "fixes" which by the way are **bleep** because rearranging mu house and disturbing the others in my house especially children who are distance learning and need the internet I found the solution. I replaced all my roku devices with Google Chromecast. Hope this helps!

zielkj
Reel Rookie

Has anyone that can see networks but not connect, try turning off their security in the router temporarily.  Perhaps it's an issue with WPA.  Worth a try at least.   Of course, turn your security back on after testing.

Afolger77

So I am having the same issue.... I was watching a show on my Roku and it just dropped the connection in the middle of the episode.  It is now just not finding my network at all, but it finds my neighbor's. I have followed all the instructions in the articles, but to no avail. 

Weseng

What are you saying?  If your roku will not connect to wifi you can't download to change anything.

Stezalee
Reel Rookie

Same issue. I bought the Roku streaming stick last week. It worked fine the first 2-3 days. One day it kicked me out and hasn’t worked since. I’ve tried ALL of the above and still nothing! It’s very frustrating!

0 Kudos
teage23

...and, I'm currently looking at other options than Roku.  I was willing to deal with no HBO Max but this is too much.  Everynight after 10:00 I lose wireless to Roku.  Even though EVERY OTHER DEVICE IS CONNECTED JUST FINE.  Downhill guys, Blockbuster went under and so will you if you don't fix your sh1t.