Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku won’t connect to WiFi but all other devices in house work!

I’m having the same issues. Please help.  

0 Kudos
Stezalee
Reel Rookie

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, there appears to be NO fix for this. I’ve spoken to a couple different customer service reps & have been given the same rebooting steps to follow. As an end result,  I just purchased the Roku Express (3930 series).It was surprisingly much cheaper but WORKS VERY WELL!! I hope ROKU finds a fix...., Good luck to you all 

0 Kudos
Bemb

Same thing happened to me. My roku for no reason disconnected from my WiFi and I can’t get it to reconnect even after resetting to factory settings and I’m tired of troubleshooting. 

0 Kudos
Ccramer87

Mine has continued to do this for months.. I have 2 roku sticks and neither of them will stay connected. Or it just says won't connect and I've restarted my roku numerous times

0 Kudos

I have just had FFTH installed and am getting amazing speeds across all my devices, even at the bottom of my garden.  So I didn't expect a problem with my ROKU box today.  I have an onscreen message that signal strength is excellent but it repeatedly says although I am connected there is no internet.  I have tried all the advice here, everything has been restarted, unplugged etc etc but nothing resolves the problem.  The ROKU box has been minimally used and this is not what I expected from the device so would appreciate some guidance please.

0 Kudos
Furritus
Binge Watcher

I know this thread was started over a year ago, but I started having this exact issue a couple of days ago. I have been using the same Roku Express for over two years, with the same TV in the same place, the same distance from the router, and have never had this problem before. The Roku detects the network but shows the signal strength as "poor" and won't conenct, while other devices in the room (including the laptop I'm posting this from) show it as "excellent". I've tried power cycling both the Roku and the router repeatedly (so please don't instruct me to do that again). The only other devices connected to the network at this moment are one phone and one laptop computer, and like I said, there has been no change in location of the router or Roku, or network usage, since it was working perfectly two days ago. Looking at this thread this seems to be a fairly common issue that hasn't been satisfactorily resolved (I have not seen a single person say power cycling the router or device fixed the problem). Not holding my breath here, but any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @Furritus

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please be advised that your Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Furritus
Binge Watcher

I first commented about this in August. The issue mysteriously fixed itself, worked perfectly for months, until maybe last week when it started happening again. It detects the network strength as "poor" when it detects it at all, and other devices see it as "excellent" and have no problem. It's unusable. NOTHING has changed between when it was working perfectly and now. Not the position of the router or Roku, not the network I'm using, nothing. Has anyone found an *actual* fix to this, or am I buying a new device?

To save time because I see the same unhelpful advice over and over:

I have power cycled (reset) both the router and the Roku Express many times.

I have tried different channels on the router. 1, 6, and 11 all have the same problem.

I have verified the network is broadcasting 2.4 GHz.

I have tried moving the position of the Roku to the extent that it's possible.

The maximum number of devices on my network pretty much ever is 5 (plus the Roku). Usually it's 2 (one laptop, one phone). 

NOTHING WORKS.

Can we please either get a real fix here or else tell us "it can't be fixed, you need a new device"?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jherter1
Reel Rookie

Roku finally acquiesced and sent me a new Roku Express. I had all the same symptoms as you. Have not had a problem since.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Furritus
Binge Watcher

How did you get them to do that? I just made a last-ditch attempt with a "secret menu" solution I found in another post: https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Excellent-wifi-strength-but-roku-ha...

Still no luck!!

0 Kudos