Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgbridg55

Re: Roku won’t connect to WiFi but all other devices in house work!

I am having the same issue. How can I talk to a support person?

The router has been re-booted.

boogernose
Roku Guru

Alot of people are suddenly complaining about this.

Maybe it rates a bug report. attn @RokuDanny-R 

Do you know your build number?

Settings/System/About>>Software version

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Spl
Reel Rookie

Please don’t assume people posting haven’t taken all of those steps. I did them all multiple times, and it didn’t fix it. So that’s not the answer. 

If this is related to an update, how can it be fixed when the Roku won’t be able to connect to run any additional updates to fix it? 

And why does it effect one Roku Express but not another one just like it? 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CasualUser @Stephanist @bruceedw @MelB1 @Agent86

Thanks for the posts.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

We would also recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps for network issues provided by our Support pages here: 
What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

- If you have a Roku Express/Premiere, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to, as those devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If you still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing and the answers to the above questions. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mackbelievey @Jetjewmv @patdehartlong57 @Tomeka1 @Spl @mgbridg55 

Thanks for the posts.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

We would also recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps for network issues provided by our Support pages here: 
What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

- If you have a Roku Express/Premiere, have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to, as those devices are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If you still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing and the answers to the above questions. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

it seems most everyone having this issue has multiple appliances

connected to their wifi signal. And I'd wager most if not all those

people have "bundled" type lower bandwidth connections.

As I mentioned if you want to have multiple connection you'd be

better off using additional Routers. It would be easy to connect an old one

to the present one via Ethernet and logging into that one with your Roku.

Surely you dont think a thousand people connected to one wifi is going to work

trouble free and have enough bandwidth. It doesnt matter what was working before.

Youre expecting too much of your Routers and wifi connections.

What your providers might tell you is also irrelevant.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
BGF1973
Channel Surfer

I had the same problem. I removed the roku system 9.3 update which installed a couple of days ago. Now running software version 9.2.0 build 4808. Problem solved. No more dropped wifi connections. I would recommend checking to see what software version you have. This can be determined by selecting setting > system > system update. That will display the software version. 9.3 is the newest version. If you have version 9.3 and want to revert back to version 9.2, here are the steps to follow. On the remote press the home button 5 times, then the fast forward button 3 times, and then the rewind button 2 times. That should bring up the hidden menu. Select software update and it should ask if you want to install version 9.2 select yes. That will revert to the previous software version.

Stephanist
Reel Rookie

@BGF1973 

I'm going to give this a try. I was in that menu to disable/able pings like some other people suggested. Thank you for sharing and giving clear instructions.

0 Kudos
Haydenx360a
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the instructions, I have tried following them however when i click update it states your Roku Player will updated from version 9.3.0.4170 to version 9.3.0.4170, I dont see any option for version 9.2

0 Kudos
mackbelievey
Reel Rookie

Ha ha that sounds like Xbox gamer moves.

0 Kudos