Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mspinki
Level 7

Roku violating privacy

Ever since this covid19 outbreak and quarantine, Roku has started asking me where I am so they can "Help to connect me to the internet".  It's strange to me that they didn't need my help before quarantine. It's just their way of keeping track of me and I don't appreciate being asked this. It violates my privacy.  I'm not a five year old that needs to be monitored by big brother.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku violating privacy

I've never seen such a message. Where is it appearing? What are you doing when it appears? Where are you located? Just wondering if it's only in some countries. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mspinki
Level 7

It appears every time I set up connection.  I live in Georgia.  It always asks me if I'm at a hotel or at home.  It has to be answered before it will connect.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Mspinki wrote:

It appears every time I set up connection.  I live in Georgia.  It always asks me if I'm at a hotel or at home.  It has to be answered before it will connect.

Thank you for that answer. The hotel/dorm function kicks in when it detects a network connection, but can't seem to reach the Internet. Most hotel or dorm connections require some sort of authentication before you can access the Internet, hence the request. But if that's appearing when unnecessary, you can disable that function. Go into the settings/system/advanced system settings. There should be a menu labeled device connect. Depending on the Roku model, the Device Connect menu might be somewhere else in the settings. If you disable it, that disables the hotel/dorm function, and I would expect that message to go away. But if it's having a problem reaching the Internet, perhaps there's something else going on with your network.

But the bottom line is that Roku is not asking for your specific location. It is only detecting a possible issue reaching the Internet that usually identifies a hotel or dorm connection. It is not sending any information back to Roku about where you are located. Your IP address would give them a rough idea where you are anyway, it they really cared. But I seriously doubt they do. As long as you're in the country of record for your Roku account, they don't care where you are. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HugeLime
Level 7

WalgreensListen wrote:

Thank you for the information and advice!

0 Kudos
islandkris
Level 7

There is no way to do what you said in my settings.  I suddenly

started getting the same message. My roku says it has a a wireless internet connection but none of my services are recognizing that Im connected to the internet. None will play.

0 Kudos