Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kgiri247
Level 7

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"jontalk" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"bkimura" wrote:
I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 

It's known that Ethernet connections on Roku have topped out around 20-40mb.  Internet streams generally would never hit it.  If you aren't seeing any degradation in quality of the stream then it is working as expected.

Interesting..I have a 4 year old Roku 3 using a wired connection and in Settings>Network it shows a speed of 65 mbps just above the date when it was last checked! I was contemplating upgrading to a 4640 but after reading this and other posts about DD+ issues with OS9, it seems like I'd be better to leave well enough alone!

I noticed the problem over Ethernet a free months ago. I just couldn't get 4k streams to work from the Plex app. Previously everything worked fine. After checking everything on the network I tried connecting to my 5ghz wifi and 4k streams work perfectly. Swapped cables, switches and can confidently say the problem is with the Roku Ethernet side. I only noticed it when Plex stopped being able to stream large bit rates on my lan.

I suspect an update broke things for me, for now wifi works so it works but this was the main reasons I got an ultra.
Dsenvivo
Level 7

Same here on Ethernet using a nighthawk 7000 router and have 200 MBPS speed. All other devices Apple TV & Android clock in high and so does my wireless but the wired ROKU connection is at 39-67 mbps. 6 cat Ethernet cable used and even tried different ports on router but still get orange dot from router telling me connection is bad. It just started about 1 month ago. I tried factory reset and network test nothing. Must be a bad patch from ROKU. Hope they fix this issue. I have ROKU ultra 4660X
atc98092
Level 15

@Dsenvivo wrote:
Same here on Ethernet using a nighthawk 7000 router and have 200 MBPS speed. All other devices Apple TV & Android clock in high and so does my wireless but the wired ROKU connection is at 39-67 mbps. 6 cat Ethernet cable used and even tried different ports on router but still get orange dot from router telling me connection is bad. It just started about 1 month ago. I tried factory reset and network test nothing. Must be a bad patch from ROKU. Hope they fix this issue. I have ROKU ultra 4660X

All Roku devices with a wired connection use Fast Ethernet, which has a theoretical maximum speed of 100 Mbps (real world about 90). I have also found that Roku devices never seem to accurately report their network speed, always reporting far lower than actual. If you're streaming from the Internet, there's no reason to be concerned, as nothing streams higher than about 20 Mbps. My Ultra reports a network speed of 65 Mbps, while my Internet speed is 90. But I can stream my HD movie rips, which I can monitor peak speeds of 70-80 Mbps, without issue. I only run into buffering with my UHD movie rips, which can exceed 130 Mbps, which exceeds the limit of Fast Ethernet anyway. So for those movies I use my Nvidia Shield, which has a Gigabit Ethernet connection. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

I'm running into the same problem, and support was useless.  

I have an ultra with wired connection, and a Express wireless.

My phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, all 100mbps.

Both Roku devices, 6 - 12mbps.  No streaming apps will even load.  Get network error.

0 Kudos
doesitmatter
Level 9

And there are more people complaining about this exact issue on another thread. The 9.2 update has completely messed up the ethernet port on the Ultra. And in turn the box runs slow, barely loads channels, grainy picture, etc.

A factory reset will do absolutely nothing to fix the issue, you need to switch over to Wifi in order to make this box usable.

This is absolutely ridiculous that Roku is not acknowledging they screwed up and stating they are working on a fix. I buy a box with an ethernet for a reason and Roku is charging us an extreme premium for it. I don't want to use WiFi if I did, I would have bought one of the subpar models.

0 Kudos