Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

I have 200+Mbps Spectrum in my house. I have a Netgear Orbi 3000AC mesh WiFi system. My Roku Ultra attains quite a bit faster speeds via wifi than via ethernet. For someone like me, wireless is going to be much better than Ethernet, even if Roku fixes their Ethernet problem b/c Ethernet maxes out at 90 Mbps on the Roku Ultras (as others have mentioned). BTW, the Apple TV 4K supports gigabit ethernet. I get faster speeds on my Apple TV 4K by connecting to ethernet rather than WiFi b/c of that. I saw the Roku Ultra on sale for $50 on the Roku site for Cyber Monday. The Apple TV is more than 3 times that price. (Although you do get one year of free AppleTV+ with the purchase of an Apple TV.) Pick your poison!

Highlighted
Level 21

@MisterLuigi wrote:
. For someone like me, wireless is going to be much better than Ethernet, even if Roku fixes their Ethernet problem b/c Ethernet maxes out at 90 Mbps on the Roku Ultras (as others have mentioned). 

Nothing to fix. Every Roku with a wired connection is Fast Ethernet. You can't convert it to Gigabit with a firmware update. They've always been advertised with Fast Ethernet, so nothing was inaccurate or misleading. For people like me that stream from home media servers, it was never a problem until 4K UHD ripping became available. I can play all of my 1080 BD rips without a problem, since they have peak bitrates of 65 Mbps or less. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 16

I have always used Ethernet thats how I run my LAN here all wire.

I have never experienced most of the problems I see people having.

I believe its mostly due to connectivity.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@MisterLuigi wrote:
I have 200+Mbps Spectrum in my house. I have a Netgear Orbi 3000AC mesh WiFi system. My Roku Ultra attains quite a bit faster speeds via wifi than via ethernet. For someone like me, wireless is going to be much better than Ethernet, even if Roku fixes their Ethernet problem b/c Ethernet maxes out at 90 Mbps on the Roku Ultras (as others have mentioned). BTW, the Apple TV 4K supports gigabit ethernet. I get faster speeds on my Apple TV 4K by connecting to ethernet rather than WiFi b/c of that. I saw the Roku Ultra on sale for $50 on the Roku site for Cyber Monday. The Apple TV is more than 3 times that price. (Although you do get one year of free Disney+ with the purchase of an Apple TV.) Pick your poison!

Roku uses subpar and extremely outdated hardware in regards to connectivity on both ethernet and wireless. They are only using 10/100 which means your top speed will only be 100 mbps. Why they are not using 10/100/1000 going into 2020 is beyond me as the cost difference is about half a cent. Even the 2019 ultra model is using outdated and subpar hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Doesn't the poor ethernet connectivity void the idea this is 4K? I just got my 55S425 Roku TV and very disappointed with LAN speeds. Even the wireless is a bit slow. But the LAN speeds are 1/2 of the wireless speeds. Makes no sense. No matter what, either way I cant use 4K. Will be returning this TV and do away with Roku all together.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Bobby4 wrote:

Doesn't the poor ethernet connectivity void the idea this is 4K? I just got my 55S425 Roku TV and very disappointed with LAN speeds. Even the wireless is a bit slow. But the LAN speeds are 1/2 of the wireless speeds. Makes no sense. No matter what, either way I cant use 4K. Will be returning this TV and do away with Roku all together.

What kind of 4K material are you referring to? If you mean any online source, such as Netflix, Prime, Vudu, etc. those max out at under 20 Mbps. That is far below the Ethernet speed of any wired Roku device. Any functional Ethernet network should be fine for that.

If you mean a ripped 4K Blu Ray from a local server, you are correct that Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) isn't fast enough to support that bitstream rate. But unless your WiFi network has issues, 802.11n should be fast enough to handle it, as even at the low end this protocol supports 150 Mbps (real world more like 130).  But my UHD movie rips can exceed 150 Mbps often, so for watching them, I use something other than a Roku. But that's also partially so I can get the lossless audio track, something else Roku doesn't support. For me, I use an Nvidia Shield. But for almost all other use cases, I still use a Roku, simply because it works so easily. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

People who insist on having bleeding edge

technology can expect problems.

This hasn't changed a bit since 1980.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@boogernose wrote:

People who insist on having bleeding edge

technology can expect problems.

This hasn't changed a bit since 1980.

Are you for real? 10/100/1000 is far from being bleeding edge technology in any way, shape, or form.

If you think this is bleeding edge, I guess using a wireless mouse just throws you over the edge.

What problems could possibly be expected using 10/100/1000 over 10/100? Hint: None

I bet you're still enjoying your windows98, SMH  Nobody likes a fanboy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@doesitmatter 

Amazing how when some people get frustrated they take things so personally.

And fire off personal jabs and nonsensical off topic nonsense.

If you carefully reread the prior posts if you can restrain yourself long enough

you might find the discussion is not limited to connection speed at all.

I haven't used Windows since decades ago except in a virtual machine.

GOODBYE

0 Kudos