Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"bkimura" wrote:
I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 

It's known that Ethernet connections on Roku have topped out around 20-40mb.  Internet streams generally would never hit it.  If you aren't seeing any degradation in quality of the stream then it is working as expected.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"twiceover" wrote:
"bkimura" wrote:
I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 

It's known that Ethernet connections on Roku have topped out around 20-40mb.  Internet streams generally would never hit it.  If you aren't seeing any degradation in quality of the stream then it is working as expected.

I don't believe that's accurate. I've seen YouTube videos exceed 40 Mbps according to the Stats for Nerds window. And I've monitored a few of my Blu ray rips hitting peak rates of over 70 Mbps, and steady at 40-50 Mbps. But I agree that few online streaming sites ever exceed 20 Mbps, with the exception of YouTube.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"atc98092" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"bkimura" wrote:
I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 

It's known that Ethernet connections on Roku have topped out around 20-40mb.  Internet streams generally would never hit it.  If you aren't seeing any degradation in quality of the stream then it is working as expected.

I don't believe that's accurate. I've seen YouTube videos exceed 40 Mbps according to the Stats for Nerds window. And I've monitored a few of my Blu ray rips hitting peak rates of over 70 Mbps, and steady at 40-50 Mbps. But I agree that few online streaming sites ever exceed 20 Mbps, with the exception of YouTube.

No idea.  It's just been noted on here many times in the past.  Might be device specific.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"twiceover" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"bkimura" wrote:
I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 

It's known that Ethernet connections on Roku have topped out around 20-40mb.  Internet streams generally would never hit it.  If you aren't seeing any degradation in quality of the stream then it is working as expected.

I don't believe that's accurate. I've seen YouTube videos exceed 40 Mbps according to the Stats for Nerds window. And I've monitored a few of my Blu ray rips hitting peak rates of over 70 Mbps, and steady at 40-50 Mbps. But I agree that few online streaming sites ever exceed 20 Mbps, with the exception of YouTube.

No idea.  It's just been noted on here many times in the past.  Might be device specific.  

Older devices certainly have issues with higher bitrates, but it's not a network issue. They just don't have the processing power for faster content. I have an old 2 XS, and it chokes at about 16 Mbps. It can keep up with a standard DVD rip, but Blu Ray videos are a no-go without throttling the bitrate. But I believe the Roku 3 and later models are fine. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Kbruins59
Level 7

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

Update: To answer some questions that were added on after I initially posted, I did try a different ether net cable and still didn't have any luck. We ended up taking that first Ultra one back and swapped it for another one.  The second one  did actually show that a wired connection was available but, it was still super slow. I then retried all the original responses on this new Ultra, and still didn't have any luck. I then plugged the old X2 back in and it worked flawlessly. My wife and I then decided that since the only reason for wanting the Ultra was for its wired capabilities we returned it, and saved some money, for Stick plus. The Stick plus is working great. Thanks for all the help.   
0 Kudos
OCWoodmanP
Level 7

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

I am having the same issues and cannot get it to connect no matter what I try. I have contacted Rohu support via email but they have yet to get back to me. It has been several days. This is very disappointing.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"OCWoodmanP" wrote:
I am having the same issues and cannot get it to connect no matter what I try. I have contacted Rohu support via email but they have yet to get back to me. It has been several days. This is very disappointing.

Reach out to RokuTannerDB via PM. He's very responsive, but it is the weekend. He's human, so he doesn't live on the forums 24/7.

Now, you said "no matter what I try." Well, what did you try. Don't say "everything" or "what others suggested." Spell it out. That's often critical, as sometimes instructions aren't clear, and a user will try something that could meet the words said, but not the intent. So, yeah, spell it out. You might have missed something, or you may have come up with something that triggers a thought with others.

Try to spell it out in the order you tried, as best you recall, as often, the order of troubleshooting steps is important.

Let us know.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
OCWoodmanP
Level 7

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"DBDukes" wrote:
"OCWoodmanP" wrote:
I am having the same issues and cannot get it to connect no matter what I try. I have contacted Rohu support via email but they have yet to get back to me. It has been several days. This is very disappointing.

Reach out to RokuTannerDB via PM. He's very responsive, but it is the weekend. He's human, so he doesn't live on the forums 24/7.

Now, you said "no matter what I try." Well, what did you try. Don't say "everything" or "what others suggested." Spell it out. That's often critical, as sometimes instructions aren't clear, and a user will try something that could meet the words said, but not the intent. So, yeah, spell it out. You might have missed something, or you may have come up with something that triggers a thought with others.

Try to spell it out in the order you tried, as best you recall, as often, the order of troubleshooting steps is important.

Let us know.

Thanks for the reply. I have reset my switch, reset my cable modem, reset the Roku to factory settings and I changed switch ports. Running out of ideas
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"OCWoodmanP" wrote:
... I have reset my switch, reset my cable modem, reset the Roku to factory settings and I changed switch ports. Running out of ideas

Switch? Is it just a switch? Or is it an actual router? If it's just a switch connected to your modem, it may not be able to deal with things properly. I recall seeing a discussion about that here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=141662

You're not describing the same issue, but I'm wondering if that might be something to look at.

Apart from that, I'm not sure what else I can offer. Others will be along with better ideas, I'm sure, soon.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

Re: Roku utlra poor wired Connection

"twiceover" wrote:
"bkimura" wrote:
I’m seeing the same problem on my Ultra. I’m getting approximately double the throughput connecting wireless (5ghz) versus wired.  Leaving on wireless for now  as my wired speeds were running around 40mbs vs 90mbs for wired. (150mb Comcast service)  any idea if this has been acknowledged by Roku and are there any plans to address it?  Thanks. 

It's known that Ethernet connections on Roku have topped out around 20-40mb.  Internet streams generally would never hit it.  If you aren't seeing any degradation in quality of the stream then it is working as expected.

Interesting..I have a 4 year old Roku 3 using a wired connection and in Settings>Network it shows a speed of 65 mbps just above the date when it was last checked! I was contemplating upgrading to a 4640 but after reading this and other posts about DD+ issues with OS9, it seems like I'd be better to leave well enough alone!
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos