Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Roku unable to connect to internet

I need help NOW!  My Roku is suddenly unable to connect to internet according to message on tv.  I have internet service, obviously, since I'm sending this message on my computer to you.  I've attempted to reconnect several times but to no avail.  How can I get help?  This is a Roku Express only a year old now.  

Would appreciate any and all help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku unable to connect to internet

@Linda3 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information? What Roku model device are you using? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? Have you made any changes to your wireless network or router recently?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Check out some wireless troubleshooting tips on our Support pages here:
What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?
Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Hi Danny,

It appears that my “wifi” was set to OFF for some unknown reason here on the computer, I just turned it back on, disconnected Roku and then reconnected, also just did a re-boot on router. This is a Roku Express I’m using.  I noticed though from the choices I have to connect on the screen of my tv when Rokus on, its not giving me the option of connection to the 5G, only the older connection, would that make a difference, and if so, how do I get it connected to the 5G???  My computer, cel phone, and even thermostat all appear to be connected to the 5G connection now, everything except Roku.   Under my internet connections on the computer here it shows both connections but my computer connects to the 5G address, which isn’t even showing up as an option on the Roku connections. 

How could I be connected to the internet but not wifi anyway?  Please let me know what to do in order to connect to the 5G please.  Possibly the 2G was dumped as of July 4th???  I have no clue, all I do know is I need to connect to the 5G and unable to do so on my Roku at this point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

First of all, it's 2.4GHz or 5GHz.  5G is a cell phone thing.  The Express only supports 2.4GHz, so you can't connect to your 5GHz AP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@renojim wrote:

First of all, it's 2.4GHz or 5GHz.  5G is a cell phone thing.  The Express only supports 2.4GHz, so you can't connect to your 5GHz AP.

Ok, so that isnt helping me solve the problem is it?  So are you stating that my "Express" is now obsolete due to the fact that my wifi IS connected to 5G?  When I say 5G, its just a shortcut for 5GHz, just so you dont get annoyed again....😄

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

I wasn't annoyed, I'm just anticipating the problem when 5G gets rolled out fully and people say, "My Roku says it supports 5G but it won't connect to Verizon's 5G network".  Anyhow, the Express isn't obsolete, just the cheapest Roku you can get.  If your router has a 5GHz access point it most likely also has a 2.4GHz AP.  Post the model number of the router and someone will check it out for you.  If you feel you must use 5GHz, then I'm sorry but you'll have to get a different model of Roku.

Highlighted
Level 9

@renojim wrote:

I wasn't annoyed, I'm just anticipating the problem when 5G gets rolled out fully and people say, "My Roku says it supports 5G but it won't connect to Verizon's 5G network".  Anyhow, the Express isn't obsolete, just the cheapest Roku you can get.  If your router has a 5GHz access point it most likely also has a 2.4GHz AP.  Post the model number of the router and someone will check it out for you.  If you feel you must use 5GHz, then I'm sorry but you'll have to get a different model of Roku.

I've BEEN using this router for over two years now WITH the Roku Express, no problems!  I see no reason to have to buy anything new actually at this point, there's obviously something wrong here, suddenly, like two days ago, when MS Windows suddenly forced us to "up/downgrade" to a new browser, although I cant see how that would effect my Roku, and yet it happened the exact same day.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I doubt it.  Anyway, I dont think the routers the issue since I'm getting fine connections on the internet/computer, cel phones, and my thermostat also, its Roku.  I dont feel that I have to use anything, unless Roku suddenly only accepts the 5GHz, I have no idea.  Everything was working fine for months until two days ago.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Well then it must have been connected to 2.4GHz because no Express ever supported 5GHz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@renojim wrote:

Well then it must have been connected to 2.4GHz because no Express ever supported 5GHz.

OBVIOUSLY.  I've been using it for the past two years as it is, suddenly it doesnt work, I HAVE 5G service via my internet, FIOS, but what I'm trying to find out now is why has it suddenly gone down, why can't I get it to reconnect, and why are all my other internet connected devices working find except for the Roku. Apparently I shouldnt have mentioned having 5G service, its all anybody can seem to focus on now, rather than the issue at hand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

When you have many wifi connections logged into your

Router you can overwhelm it. The Router has to process all this data.

Log the other **bleep** out temporarily. Restart the Router and see if it shows

on your Roku.

You can also use another older Router plug it into the back of your present Router

and log into it. (more processing power)

You people seem to think the entire planet can log into your Routers if they all stand within 30 feet WRONG.

Plus all that wifi can give you brain cancer.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos