Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IgsPoke3
Reel Rookie

Roku suddenly won’t connect to wifi anymore

Jump to solution

Roku suddenly kicked me out of wifi connection (after two years of not doing that) and now it won’t connect. It displays an X as it searches for a wireless connection. I have restarted the Roku, Tv, and Router multiple times. Have reset network settings on the Roku and nothing is working. My router service is Spectrum so you can’t change the setting like I’ve seen some posts mention for Cfinity. The only thing I haven’t done is a factory reset but I doubt that would work anyway if nothing else has worked. Please help! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IgsPoke3
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku suddenly won’t connect to wifi anymore

Jump to solution

Hi everyone thank you for your feedback. It finally work now! It had nothing to do with the Roku but with the network/router service. I just had to call spectrum (my router service) and told them to change the 2.4 GHZ to a bgn network as well as make sure it’s wireless service is for channels 1, 6 and 11. They made the following changes and after I restarted my WiFi router the Roku was able to connect. Again, thanks for your help! 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Make sure the Roku device is powered through the wall outlet, and not the USB port on your TV set.  If the power is not the issue, then you probably have a defective Roku device.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @IgsPoke3

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
IgsPoke3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi thank you for the response. I saw some videos about changing the network name to bgn and also changing channels but that is impossible with spectrum. When you log in to the router service you don’t get any options of editing anything. It just lets you know what devices is using what. I just noticed that the roku is blinking a white light which it didn’t use to do. I think I’m gonna give up on this and get another one that can support the 5GHz network. I have another roku upstairs that uses the 5 and it still works great so something is definetly up with the 2.4. Thank you for your time! 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@IgsPoke3

Thanks for the reply.

If you need help modifying your router settings, you can reach out to your internet service provider's customer support team for assistance. Since they are trained on how to configure their wireless gateway, they might be able to help you out with this matter.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
LBBOWLES1

Jump to solution

Mine keeps throwing the code 14.40 for password. I’m using the correct password for my internet device. My other TV's, cell, computer are all working fine. Roku express will not work. 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@LBBOWLES1  you probably have either a defective Roku, or you’re using an old password and somehow changed it.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
LBBOWLES1

Jump to solution

It’s the same pw for all other devices connected. It surprisingly will connect to my iPhone hotspot. But not the suddenlink (Altice) I don’t know how to find the internet speed or whatever else I need to look for to see if that’s the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @LBBOWLES1

Thanks for the post.

Is this the first time you will connect your Roku Express to your internet? Please be advised that your Roku Express 3930 is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. There are instances where the password of your 5 GHz band is different from the 2.4 GHz band. Ensure that the passwords are the same then try connecting your device once again. 

If you need help checking or modifying your router settings, we highly suggest contacting your internet service provider as they are able to assist you with that matter.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
IgsPoke3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’ve had the Roku for two years and it has worked fine. I did contact my router support and told them all about the bgn network and required channels for wireless service. They changed the settings and still no connections. Roku is just broken I guess…

0 Kudos