Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkyyKorat
Level 7

Roku suddenly won't connect to network

We have TWO Roku basic streamer units - nothing fancy.

Roku A lives in the man cave about 6 feet from the wireless router.
Roku B lives in the family room – same floor, farther from router, but still well within normal range – the laptop in the family room consistently shows a “good” connection.

They BOTH worked fine.  Connected, showed good strength, worked.  Until a couple days ago. 

Roku B (family room) couldn’t see ANY networks – there are at least a dozen local wifi networks in the neighborhood.  Reset it.  Restarted it.  Kept trying to connect.  Nothing. 
Swapped cables with Roku A (mancave).  Nothing.  No networks seen.

Pulled Roku A from the man cave and connected it in the family room.  Worked perfectly.  Saw a bunch of networks, said the signal strength was “good”.
Moved Roku B from family room to the man cave and connected it.  It saw ONLY our network, connected fine and said the signal strength was “fair”.

SO, currently, I’ve SWITCHED the two Rokus, and both are functioning.

It worked for a month, now it’ll only work when it’s right next to the wifi router.  Is this thing dying or is this normal?

----------------------------------
OTHER bizarre problem.  Roku B in the family room was connected to the 60” TV in the family room.  Auto resolution found 1080 P and it was HAPPY…

Roku A, which is the one that is NOW connected to the 60” TV WILL NOT work at 1080P.  Noise, static, constant flickering.  I had to manually force it to go to 720P in order to get it to work.

How come one Roku (the one that USED to be on the big TV before it refused to connect to the network) worked FINE at 1080 and the other one doesn’t? 

Is this unusual or are BOTH these things POS that need to be swapped out?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Smokindog
Level 8

Re: Roku suddenly won't connect to network

What are the model numbers of your ROKU devices and what make/model of WiFi Router do you have?

If you have "Sticks", do you have the free HDMI extenders to get the device away from the possible interference from the TV?

6 feet is pretty close to the router.  I know most will say this is far enough away but I prefer to see at least 8-10 feet of separation to the router.

Can you download something like "WiFi Analyzer" to an Android or Windows device with both a 2.4 and 5GHz radio to check your signal?  Alternatively you could use the WiFi secret menu on the ROKU (I prefer a too like WiFi Analyzer).  https://lifehacker.com/all-the-roku-secret-commands-and-menus-in-one-graphic-1779010902
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Two possible problems. Yes, the Roku could be giving up on you. When you provide the model number we can have an idea how old it is. The other possible problem is that someone nearby might have installed a new wireless access point near you that is on the same channel as yours, and the interference is affecting one Roku more than the other. The WiFi scanner that Smokindog mentioned might help identify any possible interference issues. It might be as simple as changing the channel your WiFi uses. If your Roku devices and router supports 5 GHz, you might find it much quieter on that band as well. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SkyyKorat
Level 7

The Rokus are both 3900X (or that's the closest I could figure from trying to read the black text on the black box.)

I'm not sure what "Sticks" are.  BUT, I do have hdmi cables and long usb cabels and tried dragging the Roku around the family room to see if it mattered.  The one that saw NO networks didn't see any networks ANYWHERE in the family room.  The "good" one (Roku A that was previously in the man cave) had no problem and saw a "good" signal from the normal spot near the TV.

In the man cave I'm probably actually about 7 feet, but it's not a problem.  Everything WORKS in the room with the router.

In the family room, Netspot shows my network at -36 for signal on channel 1. The only other two networks that are close enough for Netspot to show any signal are
473rd at -86 on channel 10
and dobie at -82 on channel 11

This is from the laptop in the family room but it looks about the same from where the router is other than my network increasing to -31.

I haven't seen any indications of any new access points or other networks.  Nothing here, to the best of my knowledge, has changed.  Other than the Roku in the family room not seeing ANY networks.  It worked fine since being installed about a month ago, until last week when the family room had to be rebooted repeatedly at random intervals, and eventually stopped finding any networks.  As I said originally, switching the Rokus has both working at the moment.

----------------

Anything on the second question?  At the moment the Roku that was previously in the family room, and which only sees one network (ours), is working FINE at 1080P on the TV in the man cave.  The OTHER Roku, which USED to be on the TV in the man cave ONLY worked at 720 in there and CONTINUES to only work at 720 on the 60 inch TV in the family room...  Shouldn't BOTH Roku work at 1080P and NOT have static and flickering at 1080?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

OK, the 3900 is latest version of the Express, which was released in October 2017. Not really old, but not the latest,greatest either. It does not support 5 GHz WiFi, so 2.4 is your only option. The Roku Stick is a player that connects directly to the TV without a cable. Yours is not a Stick model. 
My first suggestion is to change your WiFi channel to 6. It doesn't appear you have any nearby access points to interfere, and by changing channels your non-connecting player might start working. Worth a shot. If there's no change with that, if you have the ability to enable a WiFi hotspot on a cell phone I'd try that, just to see if it sees and can connect to that WiFi. If it doesn't see that one, I suspect the Roku is defective. If it does see your phone and successfully connect, I then suspect your WiFi router, even though it's working for other devices. 
As to your second issue, since both Roku players are identical models, they should both work the same when used on the same TV. Since they aren't, I suspect a hardware issue with the Roku. Yeah, that means both Roku A and Roku B might have hardware issues, although for different reasons. I'm not saying that's acceptable for how new they are, but sometimes electronic items just fail. I don't think it's a chronic issues with Roku players, as I have a 2 XS that is now close to 8 years old that still works. It works lousy, but that's because it is too under-powered to use the latest Roku OS and the newest version of many channels. But the hardware itself is still fine. My Roku 4, which is a couple of years older than your Express, and my Stick (a year older than your Express) both still work fine. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SkyyKorat
Level 7

Thanks for the reply...
I'll have to figure out how to change the wifi channel on the router (access point).  I can see it's using 1, and it SAYS the "best available channel" is 1, but I haven't found the place where I can change it on the Actiontec C1900A unit...  Wireless settings doesn't show the channel, just modem status.  I'll have to fiddle.

I fired up the mifi and connected to the Roku in the man cave (the one that didn't see any networks in the family room.  It sees the network, connects, and says the signal is "fair".  Which is what it does from the router also.  So, with the Roku in the room with the router it's ok.

I'm thinking I may try swapping the one in the family room that sees the network but won't run the TV at 1080p first...

The one in the man cave will get a "harder" workout when we're traveling next week since in the RV we'll be running on the mifi or campground wifi (though I've NEVER found a campground where we go that had enough available bandwidth to do normal browsing much less stream anything...
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

In my Actiontec C1000A, there is a Wireless Setup page, and on that page there is a Radio Setup tab. By default they are on Auto-Detect, but you should be able to select that list and choose a different channel. I have WiFi disabled on my Actiontec, because that is such a worthless DSL router that constantly overheats if I don't keep a fan on it. I instead have two other routers in my home set to WAP mode, and use those for all my wireless connections. I really wish CenturyLink would offer a higher quality DSL Modem/Router. The Actiontec and Zytel equipment (they appear almost identical) are just garbage. 
Dan
0 Kudos
rlombard
Level 7

I’ve only had this issue once a roku restart fixed it
0 Kudos