Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hounder
Reel Rookie

Roku streams tablet but not tv

I'm new to Roku. I have the express4k+. Both my tablet and the tv use the same wireless Verizon 5G internet. Testing the Roku on the tv shows signal strength excellent and connected. Shows will play on the tablet, but not on the tv.  I can navigate  the Roku home screen and the free channel home screens on the tv. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong, please. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku streams tablet but not tv

Hey @Hounder

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Hounder
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the response. A show will start loading, get to 99% and stall.  The signal is excellent on channel 40. I can pull up the home screen and the channel screen but when I click on a show it won't complete loading and run on the TV. On my android tablet no problem. And they are both using the same wireless wifi.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Hounder wrote:

... Shows will play on the tablet, but not on the tv ....

Sorry, but what does that mean? You are connecting your Roku Express 4K+ to your tablet? Or are you saying that you are using a tablet-native app to play similar content?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Hounder
Reel Rookie

I have the Roku app for android on my tablet. The show episodes play fine. The Roku express 4k+ is connected to my tv with an HDMI cable. Both use the same wireless internet connection. The shows won't finish loading to play on the tv.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Hounder wrote:

I have the Roku app for android on my tablet. The show episodes play fine. The Roku express 4k+ is connected to my tv with an HDMI cable. Both use the same wireless internet connection. The shows won't finish loading to play on the tv.

On the Roku app for Android, you're watching content via the Roku Channel. On the Roku Express 4K+, you could watch via Roku Channel or via a different standalone app, which are not the same thing. You haven't said what it is you're watching. Is it Roku Channel you're watching on your Roku Express 4K+ device? And do other apps play fine on your Roku device?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos