Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddlson
Level 7

Roku streaming stick in wifi dead zone.

I just bought a Roku streaming stick+. It works fine on the TV's near the router. But, in one bedroom the TV is in a bit of a perfect storm.

The building's wet wall is between it and the router, the air conditioner closet in is the wall behind it, and the cabinet the TV is in has some metal filing cabinets stacked right next to it.(between it and the router.) Note: I am not running 4k video. I bought the streaming stick+ because of the antenna and it was the model on sale.

So, the Roku stick I plugged in the back of the TV gets a low signal. Some App menus freeze and the videos take longer to buffer.  The Roku network 'about' page lists the signal as 'good'. I did a quick and dirty check the inside of the cabinet with my android and saw the wifi indicator drop to about 1 out of 4 bars. I get about 3 out of 4 bars on the front/top of the cabinet.

I figure with and longer HDMI cable between the Roku and the TV, I can place the steaming stick, with it's antenna, on top of or near the front of the cabinet to get out of the metal filing cabinet's shadow. With a long enough cable I can even put it on the router side of the filing cabinet.

the question is :

1. What is limit on the HDMI cable length between the Roku and TV?

2. Do I buy a female to female adapter for one of my many, many HDMI cables or is it better, video signal wise, to get a new male to female cable?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming stick in wifi dead zone.

I'm not able to answer question 1, but I will say that in general the fewer connections involved, the better, meaning the male-female cord, being an extension, would be my preference.

One thing you didn't ask that I may be out of line for answering would be a suggestion to look into adding a WiFi extender or an additional Wireless Access Point to your setup. If you are able to do that, you could improve overall WiFi reception in that room, not just for the Roku device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ddlson
Level 7

Re: Roku streaming stick in wifi dead zone.

I figured one solid cable is always better than a patchwork solution. But.... I have SO many male to male HDMI cables  of  so may lengths.  An adapter also gives me all more options in cable length. Is there much of a substantial signal degradation? I read about the HDMI couplers not being shielded. Also, it increases the chances of getting unplugged.

I though about an extender. But it's  not a permanent set up. It's more of an enhancement to our normal entertainment mix. Which is why I bought something as portable and easy as a streaming stick. Just plug and play into any TV in the house.

Thanks

0 Kudos