Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still experiencing an issue with the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature not being prompted, please provide us with the following information:
can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Wootton
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

4620X - Roku Premier

SN: YT001W632079

DI: 7J9691632079

SW: 10.0.0.0 build 4209-29

I'm presently at a Marriot. Marriot has a captive login that resets once per week.  To connect on an iphone;

p1) turn on wifi

p2) select MBONBOY

p3) captive login page pops up and requests your room # and last name

p4) complete; wifi is connected on the wifi

p5) verify connection by browsing to a search engine and searching roku

Power on TV/ROKU

1) press the home button on the Roku

2) scroll to settings, select "network", select "set up connection", select "wireless"

3) screen says "scanning wireless networks" then presents a set of wireless networks

4) Select MBONVOY

5) it displays a banner;  "checking..." and then it shows a spinning marker next to "wireless connection" and quickly gets a green check, then a spinning marker next to "internet connection" that quickly goes green

6) at the menu select "Check connection"; it shows a spinning marker next to "available networks", then it shows a spinning marker next to "wireless connection" and quickly gets a green check, then a spinning marker next to "internet connection" that quickly goes to a red x.

7) repeating step 6 brings up the banner "Network connection help" - "we need your assistance in connecting your roku player. where are you?" "I am at a hotel or college dorm" "I am at home"

😎 Select "I am at a hotel or college dorm"

9) banner shows for "hotel and dorm connect"

10) within 4 seconds this banner disappears and the "checking..." banner pops up. then it shows a spinning marker next to "wireless connection" and quickly gets a green check, then a spinning marker next to "internet connection" that quickly goes green

11) I perform another "scan again"

12) I select setup "MBONVOY" again; it briefly shows the "checking" banner again and wifi/internet go green check marks very quickly.

13) repeat steps 11/12 a few more times, until you get the banner for "hotel and dorm connect" again.

If you have a phone you can record the screen and then replay it to pause it on the "hotel and dorm connect" banner - this way you can capture the password and wifi name.

Then you can try to manually connect to this wifi name -- but it won't be available - but at least you can save the password to your clipboard.

Repeat steps 11/12 until you get the hotel and dorm connect page - on your phone or laptop - click to search for available networks - then click on "I am at a hotel or college dorm". You will see the wifi network briefly available and then disappear again when the banner disappears on the roku.

Thinking this could be a cached credentials (I have stayed at this hotel before ~1 year ago) I then:

14) press home button on roku

15) select "system", "advanced system settings",  "network connection reset"

This did not change the behaviour.  Continueing with this idea, I decided to perform a factory reset.

16) press home button on roku

17) select "system", "advanced system settings",  "Factory Reset"

This did nothing.  So then I selected to update the software (using my phone as a hotspot)

I repeated the connection steps and saw no change in behaviour.

Because the resets and update software didn't change the behaviour I do not believe this is a cached credential behavior; instead I believe this was a bug introduced in a version of software OR the captive login page or network settings of Marriot have changed and now the test that the Roku is doing to determine internet connectivity is in a busy loop when the hotel/dorm configuration is enabled; the device falsely determines it is connected to the internet and in a bid to be user friendly disables the special configuration thinking it has been completed successfully.  Unfortunately - it hasn't as confirmed by performing a "check connection".

hopefully this helps

SThorsensc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny,

Answering your inquiry.  I gave you most of the info already, but I will give it again.

Model:  3810X-Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial # YH002N888534

Device ID C137A2888534

Software ver (was 10.5.0 build 4174-50, which was the most current a week ago).  After I saw your reply, I noticed that an update was released.  I am now running Software ver. 10.5.0 build 4187-50

I am traveling this weekend and will be at another Marriott hotel.  I will test to see if this new software build has re-enabled the Hotel and Dorm Connection feature of the Network Setup.

Wootton
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

hey ST - I was able to play with the in-room LG television to provide an in room wifi network;  you'll need the password of the tv's wifi network but it completely bipasses the problem.

Good luck - it took me nearly 9 days on this trip to make it work.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SThorsensc @Wootton 

Thanks for providing us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SThorsensc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny,

Final answer to your inquiry.  I have returned to the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Orlando with my Roku Streaming Stick+ which has the latest software updated prior to my trip today.  And it still will not bring up the function "Are you at a hotel/dorm" feature to allow me to input my room number, name and length of stay.

Model:  3810X-Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial # YH002N888534

Device ID C137A2888534

Software ver (was 10.5.0 build 4174-50, which was the most current a week ago).  After I saw your reply, I noticed that an update was released.  I am now running Software ver. 10.5.0 build 4187-50

- Power on the Roku stick and connect it to the TV's empty HDMI port.

- Navigate to "network" and choose the hotel's MarriottBonvoy_Guest wifi network.

- Connect and the screen shows that it is connecting.  I then show that I am connected immediately.  The Gateway assigns me an IP address on its network, however, it never brought up the option "Are you at a hotel/dorm".

So, even though it says I am connected, because I am not signed in through the hotel's sign in page, I can't get an internet connection going.

Really hope your IT team can solve this problem, because it wasn't too long ago that it used to work properly at other hotels, including Marriott.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SThorsensc

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along the information you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
neogeek13

Jump to solution

Same thing happening to me on this stick I've had for years and traveled with over the years without issues. Worked just a month ago in a Hilton and now I'm at another and nope. Out of the dozen plus times I tried, I saw the hotel option ONCE and I got the network name down and was starting to add the password and then it disappeared and I haven't been able to get it back again. SO FRUSTRATING! Had lots of plans for our vacation for games, workouts, movies, and more that we finally planned to be able to watch on our first vacation of the year but nope. 😞 

neogeek13

Jump to solution

So I finally got it to work. I'm pretty sure what I did was both disconnect my laptop from the hotel network and run Check connection again and again and again and again. After or 6th or 7th time it finally caught. I took a photo, I already had my Macbook waiting on the DIRECT-roku-###-xxxxxx WiFi network when I saw it pop up and down a few minutes before, I typed in the passcode digits quickly, and FINALLY I was connected. -_-

0 Kudos
ron92646
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I think this "solution" on this help thread needs to be deleted as it doesn't work.  Note that this is an ongoing problem of not being able to connect to a hotel wifi.  Very frustrating.  In my future travels I guess I will bring my less-desired amzn fire tv stick.  It does have a proven way to log into a hotel wife "captive / splash" web page.  Roku, please try to get a real working resolution to this problem.  Thanks.