Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option!?

Jump to solution

@tfornshell

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JM12

Re: Connecting to hotel and dorm connect

Jump to solution

i am in hotel and they say password send me but not work how on

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JM12 wrote:

i am in hotel and they say password send me but not work how on

That's not how the Hotel/dorm connect works. The Roku is supposed to detect there's no Internet access on the connection and ask the user if they are connected to a hotel or dorm system. Answer yes and the Roku takes you to an instruction page that tells you how to connect a phone, tablet or laptop to the Roku to complete the hotel authentication. If it doesn't detect such a connection, you never see the message and the Roku doesn't enter the mode to allow connection. There appears to be a bug in the current OS version, so we're waiting for an update. Unfortunately, there's no workaround at present. So if you're currently in a hotel and want to connect your Roku, you have to use a hotspot on your phone to connect. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Biggest

Jump to solution

Password does not work tells me to try later I keep trying later password does not work

0 Kudos
VincereAutMori
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Give this man a job at the top of your technical departments or rewards of free service or something. Hes getting somewhere with his reply. My brain cells are going thru mass genocide because of the Roku customer service reps who hate their jobs and figure copy pasting from their scripts will ever solve this issue. With some IT experience, this starting to make sense. I have lived in the same hotel room for over 2 years. I have never had this issue since Xmas Day! Now no matter the wifi network, the resets or, the customer rep and answers from Roku, I cannot successfully connect to wifi.

Calling the service provider is not an option for me (it is the hotels service provider), and the hotel does not have a page for login credentials, never did.

Roku needs to abolish this feature or send me a new device because my MAC address seems to totally blocked anywhere, 3 different independent wifi hot spots were used..

This comes down to horrible planning and coding. Why is it so hard for Roku to just prompt the login credentials page from whatever source it was trying to connect to on its own, if it deemed necessary? There are countless apps that are technically limited web browsers with tight parameters. This would require probably a  single page from the internet to load. 

Sorry if there is a salty taste to my feedback but I have had an entertainment less holiday. I've factory resetted my device which has no backup feature, a device that has accumulated 2 years worth of credentials, apps, and settings. I haven't cringed so intensely in a long time.. I needed to watch that one new ensemble movie about the comet! Lol. I guess once the snow finally goes away I can set this Roku on fire and buy a new one at the store or Amazon. Unless someone can help me now??

Thank you.

0 Kudos
VincereAutMori
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Using a hot spot will not solve this issue, connecting to another wifi network will not solve this issue. This is a bug or a glitch that I now believe happens to Roku devices that were previously connected to a network that has changed it's connection specs in some way. My device is stuck in an infinite loop of "eat my shorts" no matter the wifi network or resets.

0 Kudos
VincereAutMori
Channel Surfer

Why is it so difficult to connect Hotel/Dorm option

Jump to solution

This is urgent. This is obviously real bad. Did somebody get to high while making the code for this feature?..

The cluster fuzz of all these responses also made it really hard for me to continue my own search of a REAL SOLUTION. 

0 Kudos
3WHughes
Reel Rookie

Re: Hotel Connections fix

Jump to solution

I attempted to connect to another random wifi, then connected to the correct wifi again and I got the prompt. That fixed it for me, hope this helps and wasn't just some good luck. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: This is just me adding on to the explosion of dorm/hotel sh*t storms

Jump to solution

@VincereAutMori 

You really haven't explained what issue you're having. I've looked at your posts, and a see a lot of words but not a lot of detail. Words aren't useful to someone trying to help. Information is, and words that do other than convey information are meaningless and make it difficult to decipher what's happening. You don't need to say you're unhappy. You don't need two words for that, much less multiple paragraphs. You're on a support site. You came here because you need support. We all get that. Just state what's going on and someone will try to help.

Before you do that, make sure you've already set up the Roku before trying to connect to a hotel/dorm. Some people will try to buy a Roku, then set it up at the hotel/dorm, only to encounter difficulty. If that's what you're doing, there's your problem. Set up the Roku first, then take it to a hotel/dorm to use.

If you do have issues trying to use at a hotel/dorm, state how it worked before you took it there, what you encountered on screen and in any mobile apps you may be using related to this, and don't forget to include the Roku model number and Roku OS version/build.

Do that and someone will try to help.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
VincereAutMori
Channel Surfer

Re: It still didn't work in the hotel no matter what I do

Jump to solution

Only answer I've gotten was the expert who didn't have much appreciation for my words and a few other posts that there is no work around to the college dorm/hotel feature connectivity issue.

If anyone knows and wants to confirm this, please feel free to respond. 

0 Kudos