Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hotel and dorm connection issue

Jump to solution

Yeah, that's the same issue I had. It would time out on the iOS devices before authentication was completed. I too carry a travel router with me, but so few hotels have wired Internet any more and it's really hit or miss getting the router to bridge correctly with the hotel WiFi. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
alanbarta
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Good news!  Just called front desk and they transferred me to tech support and they whitelisted my MAC address.  Working perfectly now.  Thanks all!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had the same issue last night when trying to log into hotel wifi.  I just couldn't get the Roku's Hotel and Dorm feature to trigger.  I did however find a solution, which may be slightly technical, but if you're game, give it a shot.  Ultimately what I did was change my computer's MAC address to clone the Roku's MAC Address so that after getting authorization on that address, it will grant it on any device that holds that same address.  Just remember that only one MAC address can connect to that network at a time.

Alternatively you can:

Sign out from all networks.  Locate your Roku's MAC Address:

1. Go to the Roku Home screen
  2. Select Settings and press the OK button.
  3. Select System and press the OK button.
  4. Select About and press the OK button.

Note The MAC Address to use in the following steps

1. Spoof the Roku's MAC Address from a computer

2. Sign in to the hotel's wifi Landing Page.  Disconnect from Hotel Wifi.

3.  Change your Laptop's MAC Address back to the original

4.  Log into Hotel Network with Roku. The Roku's MAC Address will now be authorized on the network

0 Kudos
Nighpanel
Reel Rookie

Re: Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

Danny, this is NOT a fix. Most people on here have already “activated” device at home... We all need a real solution or we will all move on to a Firestick.

gsmo51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

3810x stick not showing hotel / dorm option ever. I even did a full reset and reactivation, still nothing. Yes, I did all the updates. I believe you have disabled this option with a firmware update.

rdb55

Jump to solution

Brand new Roku user here. Bought the streaming stick+ and no matter what I try I cannot get the option to connect to hotel or dorm mode. I have registered the device and it simply doesn't show any options for me to correct this. An actual fix would be nice or I am going to return this device...your move Roku...

0 Kudos
gsmo51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This does not fix the current firmware problem which is not allowing the hotel / dorm option to show up. I returned to the exact hotel I had used it at before and this option could not be made available no matter what I tried. Period.

Nighpanel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All of these complaints seem to be answered by robots. Zero seriousness in taking complaints and actually coming up with a specific solution. 

I have been connected in the same hotels previously where roku no longer works. Using the same device! The hotels are not the problem, it’s ROKU! 

Skagitvalleyboy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wondering what happened with your travel router, how it works and did it work? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Skagitvalleyboy wrote:

Wondering what happened with your travel router, how it works and did it work? 

If you were asking me...

I have a simple TP-Link travel router. It has the ability to connect to the hotel WiFi and then act as a bridge for my internal devices. While I use the term bridge, it's really acting as a router using NAT, as it hides my devices from the hotel network. All their system sees is a single device connected, regardless of the devices I connect to the travel router.

My problem is getting the bridge to actually work. Sometimes it's successful, while other times it shows connected but nothing passes through. I can't troubleshoot much, since I have no control of the WiFi I'm connecting to. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos