Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marisa

Roku stick not getting Dorm and Hotel internet option

Jump to solution

My Roku stick is giving me the option to use hotel and dorm mode. I choose my college’s WiFi and it connects without asking if this is a home network or a hotel/dorm. I have already tried resetting the network settings, but it doesn’t do anything. I was able to use the dorm mode in my last on campus apt. It won’t let me get to authorization, so the online link is useless to me. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

@mescen 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you activated your device before accessing the hotel & dorm mode? You will need to activate your device before using your device in hotel & dorm mode. If needed you can try activating your device with an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot.

For more information about hotel & dorm mode, visit our Support page here: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
136 REPLIES 136
mescen
Reel Rookie

Hotel / Dorm Mode for Streaming Stick

Jump to solution

I have purchased a streaming stick for business travel.  How do I access the hotel/dorm mode?  At no point does it ask for my network username, which is required.  It just goes directly to the password once I've selected the network.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@mescen 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you activated your device before accessing the hotel & dorm mode? You will need to activate your device before using your device in hotel & dorm mode. If needed you can try activating your device with an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot.

For more information about hotel & dorm mode, visit our Support page here: How do I use Hotel & Dorm Connect to connect to the internet?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Hotel and Dorm connect error

Jump to solution

When I try to connect with this at my dorm, I can connect to the wifi and input the password, but every time I open the browser it just says no connection and does not prompt me for my room number or name, so I cannot fully connect to the internet.

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Hotel and Dorm connect error

Jump to solution

@myleswinston Thanks for the note. College campuses often have additional network security measures in place that block or prevent unauthorized devices from connecting to the network. We'd recommend contacting your campus IT department and inquiring further. They may ask for your Roku device's MAC address, which can be located in Settings>System>About. 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

twiceover
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Same problem here with a premier.  Connects, doesn't give option for hotel connect.  Shows as connected but will not access Internet.

Worked fine for many days.  Then I assume the authentication finally renewed and now doesn't work.

Unfortunate.

Dmoreljr
Reel Rookie

Hotel and dorm connection issue

Jump to solution

I am having an issue connecting my Roku express to my internet. I am currently using a two tiered internet connection and have been trying to connect to it using the hotel or college dorm option. My problem is that after I select the option on the Roku to connect via hotel or college dorm method the Roku will prompt me to connect to its newly activated ssid (direct-roku...ect) and enter my credentials but the Roku will automatically revert back and rescan before I can connect using my cellphone to do so. It is giving me maybe 10 seconds to connect to the network and enter my creds. This is humanly impossible and quite maddening to attempt. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hotel and dorm connection issue

Jump to solution

I've had the same situation with my Stick when traveling. I would attempt to use an iPad as the connection PC, and it would constantly change the screen back before I could complete the login. When I switched to my laptop, I never had another problem. So give a different device a try. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

hotel and dorm connect

Jump to solution

Why does it give 2 seconds to connect to it and write user name and password tried for a half hour to get the info all put in right away but no it dissapears in 4 seconds maxium it says oh you may have few minutes before it disconnects nope 4 seconds if I had a few minutes i wouldn't be making this article how do I get the dorm message to stay up for if in hotel or dorm dissapears in 4 seconds like wtf

Dmoreljr
Reel Rookie

Re: hotel and dorm connect

Jump to solution

I've tried other devices and have the same issue. Short of throwing the remote through my TV ive tried everything. This is clearly an r&d issue on the part of Roku. A simple software update that allows for more time would correct this issue. I had a similar issue with Google chromecast. That's why I got the Roku in the first place. I wonder if anyone else wants my money for useless junk. 

0 Kudos