Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heather13
Level 7

Roku stick dropping web

We received two streaming sticks (3800RW) in November for two different TVs - one is an LG, the other a Samsung. The first month they worked fine. Then the one on the LG started acting up. I would turn on the TV and receive the alert that the device was unable to connect to the wireless network. Restarted the device, restarted the Internet (multiple times), finally called Roku for a replacement and that's still pending (waiting for a new one).
Now the same thing is happening to the Samsung's device. Sometimes it happens in the morning when the TV is first turned on but usually it's in the evening. I'll be watching something and suddenly the signal is lost and cannot be reconnected (I get a green check for Wireless Connection but a red x for Internet Connection). The modem is literally on the same shelf as the TV with nothing in the way. I'm hoping for some insight from you experts since it seems odd I'm having the same issue on devices bought at the same time. 

We've had no issues with our Internet on other devices - computers and phones are still connected without issue. We also have a Roku Express on another TV and have never had a problem, even when the other two devices have been on the fritz. Thank you for thoughts on this!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku stick dropping web

"heather13" wrote:
We received two streaming sticks (3800RW) in November for two different TVs - one is an LG, the other a Samsung. The first month they worked fine. Then the one on the LG started acting up. I would turn on the TV and receive the alert that the device was unable to connect to the wireless network. Restarted the device, restarted the Internet (multiple times), finally called Roku for a replacement and that's still pending (waiting for a new one).
Now the same thing is happening to the Samsung's device. Sometimes it happens in the morning when the TV is first turned on but usually it's in the evening. I'll be watching something and suddenly the signal is lost and cannot be reconnected (I get a green check for Wireless Connection but a red x for Internet Connection). The modem is literally on the same shelf as the TV with nothing in the way. I'm hoping for some insight from you experts since it seems odd I'm having the same issue on devices bought at the same time. 

We've had no issues with our Internet on other devices - computers and phones are still connected without issue. We also have a Roku Express on another TV and have never had a problem, even when the other two devices have been on the fritz. Thank you for thoughts on this!

Just a note about device names. The modem is what connects your local network with the outside network. The router is what connects your devices with your modem. Perhaps your modem and router are contained within a single case, with a device functioning as a modem and a router, but those are two separate functions. For example, I have separate modem and router. My Roku is closer to my modem than it is to my router. But, my Roku doesn't connect to my modem, it connects to my router, which connects to my modem.

I take it to mean that your Roku is near your combined modem/router device. Even so, it's possible you're getting interference.

The Roku Stick model 3800 can connect to your router on either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band. (Note that 5 GHz is not the same as 5G, which is a cellular technology. 5G is 5th generation cell tech, while 5 GHz is a frequency band that many wireless devices can use.) Go to Settings > Network > About and look at the Wireless Channel information. If it's a smaller number, from 1 to 13, then it's using 2.4 GHz. That's a very crowded band, with channel 6 being particularly crowded. If it's using channel 6, then you might want to change it to either 1 or 11.

The 13 channels overlap a lot. 1 overlaps with 2-5. 2 overlaps with 1-6. 6 overlaps with 2-10. 11 overlaps with 7-13. Using 1, 6, or 11 is common, with 6 being the most crowded, as it overlaps with so many other channels. For me, 11 is a good choice. For others, 1 is a good choice. And 6 works great for many.

So, if you are able to select the wireless channel of your router, and you may have to do some research to find how to do that, you might want to try one of the channels that's it's not currently using: 1, 6, 11.

That's not to say that this will fix it, but if you able to check, confirm 2.4 GHz, and change the channel, then this is worth ruling out. If this is the cause, another Roku won't make a difference.

What might cause it? Neighbors. Other wireless devices in your home or very nearby. It would be a good thing to rule out, if you are able.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
heather13
Level 7

Thanks DBDukes.
You are correct - combined router/ modem. 
Checked our wireless channel and it's 44. By contrast the other Roku that has posed no problems is wireless channel 1.  
We don't have neighbors particularly nearby. I can see two of their networks on our system but signal strength is low. I'm flummoxed why only the Roku would be having issues though. If there was interference with the router / modem wouldn't it also impact every other device in the home? When kids are doing homework there could be an overload on the system, but early in the morning when this has happened the Roku is the only device using wifi. 
For the record it's working just fine right now on wireless channel 44. I'll post as soon as it drops the signal again.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"heather13" wrote:
Thanks dbdukes.

You are correct - combined router/ modem. 

Checked our wireless channel and it's 44. By contrast the other Roku that has posed no problems is wireless channel 1.  

We don't have neighbors particularly nearby. I can see two of their networks on our system but signal strength is low. I'm flummoxed why only the Roku would be having issues though. If there was interference with the router / modem wouldn't it also impact every other device in the home? When kids are doing homework there could be an overload on the system, but early in the morning when this has happened the Roku is the only device using wifi. 

For the record it's working just fine right now on wireless channel 44. I'll post as soon as it drops the signal again.

Channel 44 is a 5 GHz channel. Note that there are some in the 5 GHz band that have been problematic with Roku devices. I don't know the details, but others on this forum have posted info about it.

Sometimes, routers have different names (SSIDs) for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, while some don't. If you can determine one from the other, it looks like the 5 GHz one will be the one to use.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I use channel 153 on my 5 GHz access point. It seems to work well with my wireless devices. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

I've notice networking problems with the Stick/Stick+ (2018) with the latest releases as well.  I used to design large wireless networks and I don't have any network issues.  My location is so isolated I rarely if ever see any other users across the entire 2.4 and 5 spectrum.  For those wanting a decent free tool to check your networks try "WiFi Scout" for Windows 10 or "WiFi Analyzer" for Android.

It all began sometime in the last month.  Theses are devices I don't use daily so I can't tell you which release precisely triggered it.

I just had to go restart and then go through Network setup on a Stick+ that was failing to connect.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
heather13
Level 7

Issues restarted again today - this evening after the TV had been on all day. At first I thought my "wifi" time was up because we have limits on most devices within the household (for the kids) but that's not the case here. I've rebooted and tried to reconnect. Got a green check with wireless and internet connection but still can't connect to any channels. (it states my wireless channel is 36 FYI - I have no idea how to change it but there are no other devices currently using the wifi so it shouldn't be a problem). 

When I go to Spectrum it says "We're sorry, something didn't work quite right" and bumps me off the channel. With Netflix I get a message that Netflix encountered an error but nothing happens with rebooting. Roku channel says "The Roku Channel could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again." 

These channels worked earlier today when we had eight devices all accessing the network simultaneously without issue, I've done no updates, nothing has changed. I just came in the room to change the channel and the whole thing was a mess. Just feeling like throwing this thing into the trash right now. 
0 Kudos