Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wend1216
Level 7

Roku says I'm "connected" when I'm not because it never gave me the option of entering a password.

When I try to connect to my password protected network it says I'm "connected" when I'm not because it never even gave me the option of entering the password.  When I select the network it just does it's little green check mark deal and says I'm connected without the password and nothing more. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku says I'm "connected" when I'm not because it never gave me the option of entering

Can you stream/watch anything?  Maybe you're connected to someone else's network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Wend1216
Level 7

Re: Roku says I'm "connected" when I'm not because it never gave me the option of entering

Thanks for the reply---no I can't stream anything because I'm not really connected because Roku never let me sign in. It just went straight to "connected." 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Try clearing out your Network settings via:
Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Net Connection reset
This will remove all stored network connection settings.

Your Roku will restart, then you can try to configure your wifi again via:
Settings > Network > Set up connection

Doug
Roku Community Streaming Expert  I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
Wend1216
Level 7

Yes, I've already tried that- (a couple of times!) Thank you-

0 Kudos
makaiguy

This is all very strange. Guess we need to clarify some basic assumed information.

What Roku model and model number are we talking about? (Settings > System > About)

Is this a wifi or a wired internet connection? Most Roku units are wifi only, but there are a few with Ethernet ports.

When setting up, does the Roku find and show the correct network name (SSID)?

Are you SURE your network's router has its password requirement turned on?
Doug
Roku Community Streaming Expert  I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
Wend1216
Level 7

Hi ho-thanks for the response.  Okay, regarding network-yes everything is on. I live in an RV park with 3 available networks and everything else of mine is connected perfectly. That said, it's Roku-3, 4200X. 

I've reset everything it permits a couple of times already to no avail. Regardless of the network I choose it simply goes through its green check mark business and says I'm connected without ever permitting me the option to type the password. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

So the wifi routers are not something you control then. I was going to suggest restarting the router, as I've found that has helped me on my home system on several occasions, even though my other devices were connecting without problems.

The only reason I can think of for it not requiring you to enter a wifi password is that the network is not secured with one. When you connect other devices to these same networks, you must enter a password on them?
Doug

0 Kudos
Wend1216
Level 7

Naturally I need to enter a password or I wouldn't be having this problem. 

0 Kudos
htpttyo1
Level 7

Wendl,  What type of modem are you accessing? The requirement for a password is directed by the modem (usually one that the cable company supplied) it is connected to the wall outlet through coax.  If the requirement for that connection to be secure or password protected is somehow removed then you won't have the option to input a password.  I recommend you talk to the cable/ISP company and have them take a look at the modem.  I also want to add that you should not have to log in every time you access the ROKU.  Once your system has the SSID chosen and the password entered it stores it.  The exception to this would be when you are finished watching the TV you actually "exit" the program.  You don't need to do that, the system does not stay logged in or continue to use WiFi, it simply maintains the connection ifo and will automatically log you in when you turn on the TV and click on a channel.

0 Kudos