Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku remote works fine.BUT iPhone11 as remote NOT working

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming Stick + works fine using the Roku Remote device. I can use the Roku remote and stream OK.

But trying to use iPhone11 as remote (using the RokuAPP) does not connect. Says it cant find the device. Also says signal icon on iPhone app is “5Ge”   but NO normal strength icon for signal. So, that means iPhone is using the cell towers to connect rather than the WiFi.. (I guess??)

I re-loaded a new Roku APP and tried to use it as the remote. STRANGE: Using my iPhone11 The Signal icon says “5Ge” instead of the normal WiFi strength icons. (Note: on SAME network my iPad Pro (2nd edition) DOES have the normal strength icons showing for the normal Wifi connection). 

BUT...my new iPhone11 (did work Ok yesterday...not today) and it has the WiFi icon as above (5Ge).  My carrier IS ATT as you might guessed. 

Can’t find # to call ATT till tomorrow. 

Anybody else have this issue? 

MY Roku is Model 3810X.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku remote works fine.BUT iPhone11 as remote NOT working

Jump to solution

Yes SAME wireless net as the iPhone.... I use the 2.4GHZ connect often,,,but it will work on the 5GHZ net as well.

The problem was the Phone would not use WiFi ...kept going to Celltowers (eg, 4G or 5Ge... on ATT net).When on cell mode, Phone could not find Roku stick.

Now, we are back on WiFi in house and APP works fine..(as well as the 3810). 

Streaming OK now

Jim B

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

From 3cushion: Adding more input : Streaming stick is new PLUS model. WiFi is from Spectrum router...works Ok on ALL other WiFi devices in home (Imac, printer, iPad, etc etc) Even iPhone works OK as “5Ge” but that is from cell towers...not WiFi. BUT the “5Ge” connect will NOT connect to Roju Stick Plus....

Maybe that will be a hint to solution

BTW, I can connect to Wifi with VisioTV remote...and I CAN switch to Roku HTML slot OK; then (Using the Roku remote)I can select , Watch, etc....any Roku channel I wish...like AppleTv+, Amazon prime etc....

I Just CAN NOT use my iPhone11 as a remote using the Roku app. 

OK yesterday...not today..

Thanx ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Just to confirm, your iPhone is connected to the same wireless network as the Roku? that's the only way the app works. It doesn't connect directly to the Roku via WiFi, Bluetooth or use IR. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes SAME wireless net as the iPhone.... I use the 2.4GHZ connect often,,,but it will work on the 5GHZ net as well.

The problem was the Phone would not use WiFi ...kept going to Celltowers (eg, 4G or 5Ge... on ATT net).When on cell mode, Phone could not find Roku stick.

Now, we are back on WiFi in house and APP works fine..(as well as the 3810). 

Streaming OK now

Jim B

View solution in original post

0 Kudos