Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blashin
Level 7

Roku premiere +, no internet connection hard wire modem

Jump to solution

My roku can't find an internet connection while being hardwire to my modem. I restart a few time and reset to factory setting. Still nothing. It was working fine last time i try this to update or add channel.

If i use my router it connect to internet but i can't update or add channel

The main thing is, why it doesn't work while hard wire to the modem?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Roku premiere +, no internet connection hard wire modem

Jump to solution

@Blashin wrote:

My roku can't find an internet connection while being hardwire to my modem. I restart a few time and reset to factory setting. Still nothing. It was working fine last time i try this to update or add channel.

I'm not certain I am following your issue. If I am following, your Roku works fine when connected to your router, but when connected to a modem it doesn't. Without knowing the hardware of the modem, I can't be too certain, but some Internet modems do not have routers within them and require a router to act as your network focal point. Here's one thing to check. When the Roku is connected to the modem, check the assigned IP address on the Roku. You will see it in the settings menu both on the network page and also the About page. If there isn't an assigned IP address, there's your problem. you need something on your network to assign IP addresses to connected devices. This is called DHCP, and it's something that routers do. Some modems contain routers as well, while some are strictly modems and require an external router. 

But if you connect to the router and still can't connect to the Internet, you have some network issues to resolve, and this forum isn't the best place to work that out. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Roku premiere +, no internet connection hard wire modem

Jump to solution

@Blashin wrote:

I'm not certain I am following your issue. If I am following, your Roku works fine when connected to your router, but when connected to a modem it doesn't. Without knowing the hardware of the modem, I can't be too certain, but some Internet modems do not have routers within them and require a router to act as your network focal point. Here's one thing to check. When the Roku is connected to the modem, check the assigned IP address on the Roku. You will see it in the settings menu both on the network page and also the About page. If there isn't an assigned IP address, there's your problem. you need something on your network to assign IP addresses to connected devices. This is called DHCP, and it's something that routers do. Some modems contain routers as well, while some are strictly modems and require an external router. 

But if you connect to the router and still can't connect to the Internet, you have some network issues to resolve, and this forum isn't the best place to work that out. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post