Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshill
Channel Surfer

Roku premier error 14.3 on Xfinity Gateway TG1682G

Jump to solution

Please help, I have tried all of the usual wireless connection troubleshooting. Roku sees the network but first wireless connection gets a red X. I know the problem is with the 2.4 or 5 selection but I cannot access any of the settings on my router, there are no b/g/n selections or channels. Even when I give the 2.4 a different name and password the Roku sees it but will not connect. It was working fine when I set up the connection a few weeks ago with new router then had a power surge 2 nights ago and won’t connect. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku premier error 14.3 on Xfinity Gateway TG1682G

Jump to solution

My Gateway is the TG3482G, which doesn't have any issues with Roku devices and the mode setting. But I still put it in bridge mode and installed a Linksys router as my Internet firewall. Comcast restricted me from access channel selection, mode and channel width setting, and a few others. So that was my solution to have complete control. Since I'm in Bridge mode, I can't access the router from the web interface. 

Some users have been able to access the Gateway mode settings by using the Xfinity app on their phone. Again, mine was locked out (perhaps because I am renting the Gateway, but I don't know for certain). But I would try using the app and see what settings you can access.

Unless your Premiere is the original 4620/2630, it doesn't support 5 GHz WiFi, so just concentrate on the 2.4 GHz settings. First try to set the mode to B/G/N, and from there you can experiment with a different channel assignment. Use 1, 6 or 11. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
atc98092

Jump to solution

My Gateway is the TG3482G, which doesn't have any issues with Roku devices and the mode setting. But I still put it in bridge mode and installed a Linksys router as my Internet firewall. Comcast restricted me from access channel selection, mode and channel width setting, and a few others. So that was my solution to have complete control. Since I'm in Bridge mode, I can't access the router from the web interface. 

Some users have been able to access the Gateway mode settings by using the Xfinity app on their phone. Again, mine was locked out (perhaps because I am renting the Gateway, but I don't know for certain). But I would try using the app and see what settings you can access.

Unless your Premiere is the original 4620/2630, it doesn't support 5 GHz WiFi, so just concentrate on the 2.4 GHz settings. First try to set the mode to B/G/N, and from there you can experiment with a different channel assignment. Use 1, 6 or 11. 

Dan

Joshill
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the info Dan. My premier is the 3920X model. I have the Xfinity app but can’t access any of the settings or channels. I can create a different network name and password for the 2.4 which I did and still have the same network error code when trying to connect. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Joshill-

Setting a different net name for the 2.4 GHz network name than for the 5 GHz band can be helpful when you have a Roku that supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi bands in that it permits you to choose which band the Roku will connect to.  Since your Premiere will see the 2.4 GHz band only, changing the net 2.4 GHz name really doesn't make much differenc as it can't see or connect to 5 GHz anyhow. 

If your ISP has ill-advisedly set its 2.4 GHz connection parameters to g/n instead of b/g/n, your Premiere will see the local network as available and rate the connection quality, but will not then be able to connect to the internet. The fix is to switch the 2.4 GHz router configuration protocols from g/n back to b/g/n.

Thanks to forum user @AvsGunnar for providing the links below for instructions on reconfiguring router settings for the listed internet suppliers. If you can't do this yourself, as mentioned by @atc98092  you may need to contact your internet provider to make these changes for you:

And for those reading this thread who may have equipment from other ISPs:

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Joshill
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the links. Went into the 10.0.0.1 and all selections are greyed out with the same, “these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible.” as on app. So I guess I have to get on the phone with Xfinity. So frustrating 4 hours+ into researching this. Why did it even happen? I was connected with no problem for weeks. 

0 Kudos
Joshill
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks again @makaiguy at least I can tell them I need to switch the 2.4 GHz router configuration protocols from g/n back to b/g/n👍I’ll let you know how it goes!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Joshill wrote:

Why did it even happen? I was connected with no problem for weeks. 

Because Comcast feels they know what you need better than you do, and decided they will not allow you control of your network. In most cases they probably get the settings alright, but this is one example where they aren't as smart as they think they are. As to why it happened now, it's likely that Comcast just got around to reconfiguring your modem. This all started several months ago. I already explained why I took control away from them by using my own router. 

Dan

Joshill
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you Dan! I appreciate your help so much😁

0 Kudos
Joshill
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 and @makaiguy 

only took half an hour on the phone with tech support and they sorted it out! Thank you both so much for your help, you’re awesome🤩

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Joshill-

I'm glad you finally got help from Xfinity.  But half an hour?  It shouldn't have taken over 5 minutes.  This has been going on for months now, and the solution should be well known by all their front line support people.  The incompetence in this industry is really frightening sometimes.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X