Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pc78704
Visitor

Roku not showing hotel prompt

I connected the Roku to the guest network in the hotel but it never prompted hotel network
to enter credentials. I read the forums about getting an additional router and using the MAC address and it just doesn’t make any sense to do all these things that is why I bought this expensive stick . Something must be wrong with the timing . I am staying at a Marriott but that shouldn’t make a difference. Yes I reset and restarted the stick but it still doesn’t work . The software is up-to-date I did that at home before I came to the hotel . What am I missing? Roku has crummy software or bugs?

Labels (2)
34 REPLIES 34
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku not showing hotel prompt

I stayed at a Marriott late last year, and their WiFi never asked my to authenticate. I was just connected, without an issue. I was thinking I was on such a high floor that no one that was outside the building you connect to it, so they didn't require authentication. Were you actually able to connect to anything? Also, look in the Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Device Connect. That has to be enabled or the Hotel prompt won't appear. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note here. Have you tried taking a look here in our Support resources and following the steps to help get connected? 

https://support.roku.com/article/215058118-how-do-i-use-hotel-dorm-connect-to-connect-to-the-interne...

Keep us posted if you're still running into an issue from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Camalaki
Reel Rookie

Tanner,
You clearly didn’t read her question. I’m having the same problem. Since most hotels make you sign in once a day it’s becoming a pain. It’ll work following all of the instructions you posted for a few days, and all of a sudden it just says it’s connected without asking if I’m in a hotel or dorm (which means no service once I try to watch anything), or it’ll ask but then not send out a network to log into on my phone. OR it sends out the network, but then never sends you to the log in screen. I hope there is an update soon that fixes this bug. I got a roku because I travel a lot and it's like taking my whole set up on the road with me. I’m constantly resetting the networks on the roku and my phone and restarting both.
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Camalaki wrote:
Tanner,
You clearly didn’t read her question. I’m having the same problem. Since most hotels make you sign in once a day it’s becoming a pain. It’ll work following all of the instructions you posted for a few days, and all of a sudden it just says it’s connected without asking if I’m in a hotel or dorm (which means no service once I try to watch anything), or it’ll ask but then not send out a network to log into on my phone. OR it sends out the network, but then never sends you to the log in screen. I hope there is an update soon that fixes this bug. I got a roku because I travel a lot and it's like taking my whole set up on the road with me. I’m constantly resetting the networks on the roku and my phone and restarting both.

See my post above: "Also, look in the Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Device Connect. That has to be enabled or the Hotel prompt won't appear. " I travel quite a bit and it always works for me. However, I will say that I had difficulty using my iPad as the device used to enter the authentication method, as the Roku times out before I'll complete the entry. But using my laptop so far has been 100% successful. But yes, you have to get the prompt about being on a hotel connection before you can do that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Camalaki
Reel Rookie

It is indeed enabled. I can try with a laptop, but most the the time my roku will think it’s on the internet already when I try to “set up network”. I get both green checks when I know it should be asking if I’m in a hotel or dorm. When I then “check connection” it fails, because I need to sign in on a daily basis. I keep resetting the network connections and eventually it’ll work, but sometimes it takes 30 mins of repeating all of these steps to get it to work.
danimann30

Hi there, I had a similar issue. I have used the Roku for about 2 months. My home internet is shared through an apartment internet service that acts similarly to a hotel. Out of nowhere the Roku stopped recognizing it with the hotel/dorm prompt. (Error 009). After a week of restarting the roku and the router, reseting my router with no results....ugh. Finally what worked for me: Settings/System/Advanced System Settings and I did a Network Restart. This will take away any previously saved network info and start fresh like a factory reset (but you will still keep your channels and other preferences. I hope that helps you or anyone in the future. I was unable to find any helpful feedback online.

nat48

I’m having the same problem. My settings are set correctly, but my Roku seems to remember the network name from a previous trip and isn’t giving me the hotel prompt. I’ve tried a system restart and network connection reset multiple times, all failing to get to the prompt to be able to connect. Is there something I’m missing? 

jamfan03

You have to "Forget Network" for Roku and reenter the password. Only work around I could find. -- Note to Roku: Why didn't anyone in your customer service department try this instead of generic auto replies? 

Jwheeler

I am staying in a Sheraton in fort Worth and I am getting no prompts about connecting to hotel WiFi.