Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku not picking up my internet.

My roku won’t even pick up my internet. No idea why. I’ve already changed my WiFi channel to channel 11. Still didn’t pick up.

Yes I turned off the internet, yes I’ve already reset it. Yes I also reset the roku, even at the little button on the back. Yes I’ve already tried to configure the roku and internet. Internet is working fine. But not the roku.

Please if anyone could help me that would be great.
I’ve also asked the Roku form to see if they can help me out.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku not picking up my internet.

What model? 

Also: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44685[/url:1c1r32kp]
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Roku 3
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

The Roku 3 model 4200 was discontinued in April 2015, while the Roku 3 model 4230 was discontinued in October 2016. So, either you recently obtained a used item (which may be broken), or the device ran for a couple of years minimum before it stopped.

Can you provide any insight on when it stopped working? 

Apart from that, how far is the Roku from the wireless router?

Have you tried connecting via LAN cable (to ensure it has any network capacity at all)?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos

"Basil" wrote:
The Roku 3 model 4200 was discontinued in April 2015, while the Roku 3 model 4230 was discontinued in October 2016. So, either you recently obtained a used item (which may be broken), or the device ran for a couple of years minimum before it stopped.

Can you provide any insight on when it stopped working? 

Apart from that, how far is the Roku from the wireless router?

Have you tried connecting via LAN cable (to ensure it has any network capacity at all)?

I got the roku brand new from amazon and the router is in the same room. I havent tried connecting by wire though. I should try that thanks
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

If I’m reading things correctly, you recently purchased the Roku 3, so it’s brand new, or at least, you’ve never used it. That is, you’ve never tried to connect via WiFi before.

Using the LAN cable is a good idea, but it doesn’t resolve the issue of the WiFi not working. While that may not be an issue now, it could be a problem down the road. For example, if you decided to reorganize things and it became problematic to connect a LAN cable. Suppose you want to move the Roku to another room. There could be a slew of other reasons to attempt to use WiFi.

But, it’s up to you. I personally prefer to use LAN connection for my Roku, so I understand that may be fine for you. It’s actu my preference. If, though, you want to pursue troubleshooting, let us know.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos

"Basil" wrote:
If I’m reading things correctly, you recently purchased the Roku 3, so it’s brand new, or at least, you’ve never used it. That is, you’ve never tried to connect via WiFi before.

Using the LAN cable is a good idea, but it doesn’t resolve the issue of the WiFi not working. While that may not be an issue now, it could be a problem down the road. For example, if you decided to reorganize things and it became problematic to connect a LAN cable. Suppose you want to move the Roku to another room. There could be a slew of other reasons to attempt to use WiFi.

But, it’s up to you. I personally prefer to use LAN connection for my Roku, so I understand that may be fine for you. It’s actu my preference. If, though, you want to pursue troubleshooting, let us know.

I’ve had it for a good few months and this is the first time it didn’t pick up my internet. But yeahh I definitely get an Ethernet cable so I can watch the roku
0 Kudos
tomatoguy
Level 7

Use LAN for quick connection. 1-844-714-3555
0 Kudos