Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BetronParks
Level 7

Roku not connecting to internet but my internet is perfectly fine

One night I was streaming prime video when, literally, as soon as the episode I was watching ended I lost connection to the internet. I restarted my roku and router several times and have already disabled network pings. My internet is working perfectly fine on all my other devices.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33\
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku not connecting to internet but my internet is perfectly fine

Hi @BetronParks,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community! 

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. Do you get an error message when you try to connect to your wireless network, or does the issue occur when you stream a specific channel?

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot Network issues: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or ...
I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot just to isolate the issue.

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Regards,

Mary

0 Kudos
Taj9988
Level 7

Hi, 

My internet and router are fine. I keep restarting and reconnecting bit keep getting Error code 009.

Please don't tell me to read the online support materials,  I've already done that.

Please give me some real-time help.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

There are some issues where the answers depend on the Roku model you're using.  You can help us to help you by including your Roku model and model number (especially the model number) every time you seek help.  Find this from the Roku home screen via Settings > System > About.

Although some never experience it, it's not all that unusual for Rokus to lose their internet connections.  It happens to me several times a month but I've always been able to reestablish it as follows:

• Restart the router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

One other fairly remote possibility that I will mention because I don't know what model Roku you are using:

Roku Express/Express+ (prior to the new Express 4K) and Premiere/Premiere+ are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, !et alone connect to it. If you have one of these models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on. 

Within the 2.4 GHz band, Rokus use channels 1 through 11 as are used in North America. Some other parts of the world also support channels 12 & 13, but Rokus can't even see these channels.  If your router supports these higher channels and also has an auto channel selection feature that may switch to one of them, make sure this is not configured.  Be sure your router is set to only use channels 1 through 11.

Also, there have been a number of reports lately of people who have routers supplied by their Internet Provider in which the router's 2.4 GHz band was disabled by an update to the router software. They've had to have their Internet Provider re-enable the 2.4 GHz band, or in some cases swap in a new router with 2.4 GHz support.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
a1ice
Level 7

Roku has been working just fine, now it telling me I lost internet connection. I tried to reset connection and it won't accept it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@a1ice

Thanks for the post.

Please see @makaiguy's informative post with the troubleshooting steps he's provided.

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Wrigh1kl
Level 7

I’ve tried these steps a few times and I’m still encountering the same error connectivity message. I can also verify that my wifi is the 2.4 not 5G. 

I was able to connect to the hot spot on my cell phone, but that isn’t a viable long-term option. What should my next steps to address my connectivity issues be? 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Wrigh1kl

Thanks for the post.

Could you provide us the model and serial number of the affected Roku device? Both can be found in Settings > System > About.

Also, have you tried changing the wireless channels? Try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Wrigh1kl
Level 7

Hi @RokuKariza-DI changed my wifi channels on my router and went so far as to buy a new Roku. There still seems to be a connectivity issue with Roku even on the new device. I’m not experiencing this issue with other technology in my home, so help would be appreciated. 

Also, how can I get the serial number if it’s only available when online? 

0 Kudos
Beth5
Level 7

I have a brand new Roku Express and an older Roku TV and neither is able to connect to the router. Both see the SSID and the password is correct. Other devices in the house connect with no problem. Only the Roku devices won't connect.

0 Kudos