Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FindTheNetwork
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku not connecting to T-Mobile hotspot

Jump to solution

I have the same exact problem as of yesterday.  Network had been working just previously with all devices.  Now my Roku TV is unable to connect to my T-mobile hotspot.  Has anyone found a solution?  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@FindTheNetwork

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you using your T-mobile hotspot as your main wireless network? Were you previously connected to that network before you were seeing the issue? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What exactly are you seeing on screen? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sarahmaec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm replying to this because I have had the same issue for three days. That was also the day my TCL Roku TV updated.

I have been using my alcatel linkzone hotspot for months and months with zero issues. Suddenly both of the roku TVs that I have stopped connecting. All other devices in my home connect, though. I was able to connect my roku tv to the hotspot on my phone, but not my t-mobile hotspot. 

I have restarted the tv, the hotspot, factory reset both, gone through all of the suggestions on the roku connectivity page, changed name and password to simpler one, reset connections, and more that I'm forgetting at the moment. 

It says error code 009. It shows my the alcatel hotspot available and shows the wireless connection, it just won't connect. Please help! Both of these Tvs are not that old, one I just got a few months ago.

YN00PJ286622 is my serial number on my main television.

0 Kudos
FindTheNetwork
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have found a solution for me that has worked for the last 24 hours or so, hopefully it will prove to work long term.

I had been looking at all my settings with a fine tooth comb and took a closer look at the APN settings on my hotspot.  I noticed that the PDP Type was set to IPv4v6.  I thought that in the past it might have only been IPv4.  I decided to take a try and change it back.  I was not able to edit the currently used APN setting.  Therefore, I simply created a new APN.  I kept everything the same except for the PDP Type.  The PDP Type was set to IPv4.  Make sure to select this new APN as your active APN.

After saving the settings I was able to connect the hotspot to the Roku as well as a few other devices that were having problems the last few days.  Hopefully this will prove to work long term.  I thought I would share in hope that my stress would help someone avoid stress of their own!  

Good Luck.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@FindTheNetwork 

You beat me to it. 

I was just wondering on the drive home if perhaps TMobile disabled the IPv4 since @techhelp1 mentioned it was working with his other router.  If you place another router behind the hotspot using only IPv4 protocol, should be able to connect the Roku to internet. (if you leave settings as is).  In order to use the hotspot as primary device, will need to verify IPv4 capability is enabled and working properly.

I just saw some info that TMobile was using IPv6 as default on some of their other hotspot devices.  Roku is currently unable to use IPv6.

Good job - this is the likely culprit.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

techhelp1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@FindTheNetwork @AvsGunnar 

This was it; worked for me too it's the IPV6 needs to be changed to IPV4.  Thank you both.  Have a good one!  For anyone else reading this you need to create a new APN and type in the same .com you see in the T-Mobile US, only change to IPV 4.  When I chose a different APN that had IPV4 already I lost internet completely and had to factory reset device.    

sarahmaec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

BLESS YOU! The same thing happened to me, I lost internet and had to factory reset (thereby having to reset all those terrible passwords again, too). I did what you said about keeping the APN the same and it worked!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

0 Kudos
abbybart74
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This worked for me. Thank you!

0 Kudos
cdmilton88
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! I was forced to upgrade my Franklin T9 hotspot to a Franklin T10 due to the tmobile and sprint merger. My Rokus worked fine with my T9 and then I got the T10, they connected one night and then would not connect again after that. I kept getting the 009 error and it showed connected to wifi but I got the red X on the internet connection. I have been SEARCHING AND SEARCHING and trying EVERYTHING for the past few weeks. Finally decided to try ONE last time when I came across this thread and it FIXED IT!!!! I have discounted internet due to being low income so I really did not want to have to switch to something super expensive and this thread saved me from having to do that so THANK YOU I LOVE YOU 

Hogbrews

Jump to solution

FINALLY, after a week of failed attempts, I found someone who knew what they were talking about. THANK YOU!  I spent a week trying everything I could find on the internet. Many even said not possible, which I found to be utterly ridiculous. (If you don't know the answer, please just don't post anything.) I hate this new hotspot though, which we were required to switch to. For 2 years we NEVER had any problems. This thing constantly drops signal. Can only connect 2 things to it before it starts freezing Sometimes goes out all together and it was doing this right out of the box.

0 Kudos