Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techhelp1
Channel Surfer

Roku not connecting to T-Mobile hotspot

Jump to solution

I have an Alcatel Linkzone 2 mifi on T-mobile.  In the last week all of my Roku devices (Roku2, Roku Express, and 2 Roku TV’s) have stopped connecting.  Before last week they were all working fine. 

My Rokus will connect to other home internet through my other provider Surfair Wireless, my cell phone (Verizon) hotspot but not the T-mobile.  

But here’s the thing, my laptop, pc, and all of our phones (iphone, moto, kyocera) will connect to the mifi just fine.  My speed with it is currently 17mps.

The problem is the carrier says that since it works on my computer, phone, etc. that it’s Roku’s problem.  Roku says since it connects using other internet options it’s the internet’s problem.  I am stuck in a loop here.  I want to be able to use the mifi and cancel my other more expensive internet but can’t do that if I can’t use it for this purpose.

I have changed the connection settings to channel 11, 20mhz, 802.11/b/g/n

Factory reset both Roku and mifi, checked for updates (current t-moble mifi version is:MW43TM25)

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FindTheNetwork
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku not connecting to T-Mobile hotspot

Jump to solution

I have found a solution for me that has worked for the last 24 hours or so, hopefully it will prove to work long term.

I had been looking at all my settings with a fine tooth comb and took a closer look at the APN settings on my hotspot.  I noticed that the PDP Type was set to IPv4v6.  I thought that in the past it might have only been IPv4.  I decided to take a try and change it back.  I was not able to edit the currently used APN setting.  Therefore, I simply created a new APN.  I kept everything the same except for the PDP Type.  The PDP Type was set to IPv4.  Make sure to select this new APN as your active APN.

After saving the settings I was able to connect the hotspot to the Roku as well as a few other devices that were having problems the last few days.  Hopefully this will prove to work long term.  I thought I would share in hope that my stress would help someone avoid stress of their own!  

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@techhelp1 

Try completely disconnecting the Surfair Wireless connection.  (Unplug all power cords to the  modem/router).

Make sure nothing is seeing or receiving the Surfair connection/broadcast.  Then restart your T-Mobile Hotspot and your Roku devices.

You may have to do the Network Reset on the Roku devices if the Roku devices not seeing the TMobile).

Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connect Reset/Reset Network Connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
techhelp1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Ello2022 That solution was to deactivate previous device and I have no previous device.  There were no other solutions listed.  

0 Kudos
techhelp1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My surfair internet is unplugged.  My mifi box has been factory reset and the Roku network has been reset, I am still getting the same error.  It sees the mifi, green check marks connect right away but says no internet error 009 and acts like it's not connected.  I have tried different locations in the house with the mifi and am currently connected to the mifi right now on my laptop with a speed of 15MPS.  Not sure what else to try, this error just started a week ago but factory reset hasn't helped. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@techhelp1  On laptop your only getting 15 Mbps? That’s rather slow. Is that what you normally get?

0 Kudos
techhelp1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Ello2022 Yes, it is slow but it's the speed I've had for 15 years.  I live out in the country.  It has always allowed us to stream; a couple devices at a time even and my son manages to game on it as well although he does complain that certain games won't run or if we're streaming on certain apps it bogs him down.  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@techhelp1 

Were your Roku devices previously working on this TMobile connection, or have they never connected to TMobile.  (just a little unclear in the original posting). 

0 Kudos
techhelp1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar Yes, they were previously working.  I've had this mifi unit since December 2021.  Problem started last week.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@techhelp1 

Try removing password. (create open network for troubleshooting).  Also, change the wireless network name to something simple (no spaces).

----

The above will create a new network connection for the Roku devices to have to connect to.

After the above step, if still no success, try toggling the b/g/n modes. (try g/n first, then b/g).

----

See if any of these steps will get something to happen.