Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrEd
Reel Rookie

Roku not connecting to CenturyLink modem/router

I suddenly could not connect to the internet on any of my Roku devices and what a solution I found!

I went to my CenturyLink router's advanced setup page, clicked on LAN Settings, clicked on “Set the DHCP name special character state”, clicked on “Allow Special Characters” and rebooted. All my Roku devices now connect flawlessly.

I hope this helps, especially those with CenturyLink modem/routers.

8 REPLIES 8
MommaO
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku not connecting to CenturyLink modem/router

I went on the Advanced setting page but couldn’t find anywhere to click Allow Special Characters.  All I saw was Enable, which was checked, and Disable in a box marked DHCP Name Special Character State.

0 Kudos
akkocher

Thanks This really worked Saved me a ton of trouble

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

@MrEd wrote:

I suddenly could not connect to the internet on any of my Roku devices and what a solution I found!

I went to my CenturyLink router's advanced setup page, clicked on LAN Settings, clicked on “Set the DHCP name special character state”, clicked on “Allow Special Characters” and rebooted. All my Roku devices now connect flawlessly.

I hope this helps, especially those with CenturyLink modem/routers.

Hopefully now you can access your WiFi  network through your modem/router. 

0 Kudos
admmalc

I didn't have the special characters option under my CenturyLink wireless router.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @admmalc

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Allow Special Characters was already selected. I rebooted my modem and Roku device and it still isn't connecting.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jenniferose,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: How to connect your Roku® streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet | Official Roku .... I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot to isolate the issue.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Modems/routers leased from your ISP are almost always controlled by the ISP, meaning they can make changes without your knowledge. When I had CenturyLink DSL, I found their equipment was substandard for operation. When I switched to Comcast, I found they absolutely refused to give me access to some WiFi settings. My solution was to place their modem in Bridge mode (it no longer works as a router or WiFi access point like this) and instead use my own personal router as my Internet firewall. This allows me total control over every aspect of the router/firewall, and I have no issues connecting any device, wired or wireless. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos