Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crysis
Level 7

Roku no longer works with local networks?

I just updated my system today, for the first time in, I don't know how long. Probably not since 2016. I have an update.roku file from 11/4/2016 that I had backed up from the last update. Here is the system info I have.

Roku TV: 5132X
TCL Model 32S3750-W
Serial Number: 2N00AK040483
Software Version: 8.0.0 build 4183-08

My problem is that now after this system update, the connection changes. I go to Settings, Setup Connection, Wireless, and my router comes up on it. But when connecting, it no longer says Local Network. It only says Wireless and Internet. I do not have internet on my router. I use the connection to run Plex Classic. Always before this current update, it worked as follows:

I go to Settings, Connection, choose my router, it tries to connect. It green lights the Wireless and Local connections, and red lights on Internet. But then I hit the Home button, go to Plex, or Roku Media Player, and they work fine. I just have to do this each time I turn on the TV and want to use Plex or RMP.

But now, as I said, only Wireless/Internet are coming up, and Local is nowhere to be seen. Plex won't work at all. RMP can't locate anything either. It's as if it is totally bypassing anything on a local network.

Is there some setting I need to adjust since the software update? I was Version 7 something before I started tonight. Please someone help me.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Roku no longer works with local networks?

Roku requires internet access, according to specs on Roku's website.
0 Kudos
Matt9876
Level 7

Did some testing over the past few days, If you don't have working Internet on the Roku things like IP Cam Pro will not work.

In other words if your Internet provider turns off your feed you are blind, time for me to come up with a plan B for my Cams.

A recent Visa Card outage left me unable to buy anything for a day, I super recommend having some cash on hand in case someone flips a switch on your life.
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
0 Kudos
Crysis
Level 7

scottypie, my TCL Roku used to work WITHOUT Internet access. As I said, there used to be a local network check on my TV, before I did the latest update. Whenever I tried to setup a connection to my home network via router, it would give me a green check under Local Connection/Network in the three-step setup check. Only the Internet connection would fail.

Channels like RMP, Emby, and Plex Classic do not require an internet connection, only one to a local network. Since the software is running on your computer, not the Internet. I have been using this software for two years now without an internet connection to my TV and it was very satisfactory.

It seems as if only the latest System Update for Roku is removing the functionality, which seems utterly stupid to me. And if that is the case, I won't be investing in anything related to Roku in the future.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

If you just need a Roku to act as a DLNA client, you can get an N1100 for less than $20 on ebay, I had one (gave it to my parents) and I know that RMP and Plex Classic work fine on it (don't know if Emby works on it) and it has the *local network* feature and no longer receives updates from Roku so it won't lose that feature in the future. It's a little slow of course being such an old model and some newer channels won't work on it, but I know Netflix still works and Crackle, can't really remember any others, but it sounds like you just want a DLNA client so that's probably irrelevant.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I would not suggest any Roku older than a 3 for DLNA playback, unless all you have are SD DVD rips. The older Roku players can't handle bitstreams much higher than around 15 Mbps. HD rips will easily exceed that. I've seen some Blu Ray rips hit peaks of over 40 Mbps, which would cause the older players to constantly stop to buffer. And forget about using YouTube with those older ones. I retired my 2 XS because of all of these issues. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

My Roku 3 is on OS 8 and no longer has the *local network* feature Crysis needs, but yeah, something newer than the N1100 would be preferable, I'm just not sure which models (other than the N1100) that still have the local network feature and won't lose it to future updates.
0 Kudos