Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alewis2905

Re: Roku no longer sees network

Like MANY OTHERS on here, my Roku no longer sees my WiFi network. I have spent 4 hours working with my network provider today going through every conceivable issue and the fault is with the Roku, as many are also reporting. It picks up all neighbouring Wi-Fi networks but not mine. I have yet to find a solution and there hasn't been one posted that I can see. I have reset, powered off and on, reset router and done manufacture reset too. But nothing. What is going on?!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@alewis2905 If your Roku  (which specific model is it?) can see other networks, then the WiFi radio is working as it should. That means there's something specific about your network. If your Roku is a single band, then it works on the 2.4 GHz band, using channels 1-11. There are three other channels (12-14) in this band, but Roku devices will not see them. So first check to see what channel your router is using. Most routers are set to auto-select their channel, and if they choose 12-14, your Roku can't see it. If your router doesn't have the 2.4 GHz radio enabled, then it won't be seen by a single band Roku. Also make sure your router is broadcasting the SSID, because if it's not then it won't be seen by anything.

If your Roku is dual-band, then it also support 5 GHz. There too are some unsupported channels. Roku devices will only see the channels below 49 and above 148. The channels in between are called DFS channels, and are not legal to use in some areas, so Roku decided to not support them. Again, your router might have auto-selected an unsupported channel, and again be invisible to Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DawOfTheDead
Channel Surfer

After trying so many things- left it unplighed for two weeks and switched to Firestick .... Tried the Roku today and for some reason, it worked, connected instantly and runs like it did before. Irritated that it was down gor 2 weeks for no reason 

0 Kudos
Scotth3
Reel Rookie

My hotel changed Wi-Fi password and Roku does not recognize it how do I change it on Roku?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Scotth3 wrote:

My hotel changed Wi-Fi password and Roku does not recognize it how do I change it on Roku?

You can use the Network Reset function in the settings menu to forget all past network settings. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Veryconfused456
Channel Surfer

Hello,

did you ever get a resolution to this?

0 Kudos
MMG8500

Same problem as the original poster: the TV's MAC address stays at all zeros no matter what we do with TV resets and modem/router adjustments, and it sees no signals from anywhere. Even tried a different, older wireless router, on various channels. Retyped ID/PW many times, using router dashboard settings.

Other Roku and non-Roku devices connect to the house wireless with no issues, In fact, a Premiere is plugged in to this TV for now, and it grabs the signal just fine.

The only untried recommendation from the TCL support person is MAC filtering because I didn't see a setting for that in the router dashboard, and the frown on the ISP's face was audible when asked about changing the AES.

The problem started when it was plugged back in after the infamous recent power outages. (All the electronics were unplugged before the power went out.)

Roku TV 5119X 
Bought in 2016 -- has it lost its ability to connect in less than 5 years? Is this smart TV now a stupid TV?

0 Kudos
enderfem
Reel Rookie

I have the same model and recently had to get a new router. I've done everything, including changing the channel the router was on to 153, and nothing. It won't connect AT ALL. 

0 Kudos
enderfem
Reel Rookie

Dan,

I'm having the same problem, but I changed the network for the 5g to 153 and still nothing. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@enderfem there's been several different products mentioned here. Specifically what Roku model do you have? Not all Roku devices support 5 GHz. On the 2.4 GHz band, your WiFi must be using a channel between 1 and 11. Channels 12-14 will not work on Roku devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos