Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku no longer sees network

You don't know if anything has changed.  Most devices these days automatically update themselves, but what's most likely is that your router's Wi-Fi channel is set to "Auto" and your channel has changed.  If you don't want to do the simplest troubleshooting then why are you asking for help?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DawOfTheDead
Channel Surfer

I have no issue performing a check

My issue is if roku did something on their end that made all of our devices garbage at once. Just seemed odd, so many people, all with different providers having the dame issue all at once. Seemed very coincidental 

atc98092

True, it's possible that Roku released an update that messed with the WiFi. However, other than the Ultra 4800 I haven't seen any updates in well over a month. What can happen though is that most WiFi routers/access points have their channel selection set to Auto by default, and the router can change the channel without you even knowing it happened. If it changes to a channel that Roku devices cannot use, you suddenly can't see the WiFi at all. On a 2.4 GHz radio, it must be channels 1-11. On 5 GHz, it has to be channel 48 or below, or channel 149 or higher.

Most wireless access devices sold in the US only support channels 1-11 on 2.4 GHz, but some do have higher channels available, so that's always the first thing to check.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MAGGIE75

Hi,

I have a Roku express HD, model 3930CA. It doesn't connect to my wi-fi internet. I don't know what to do anymore, I did all the reset, restart, unplugged...re-plugged...I have restarted my router as well. I have no idea what I can do more than that, it is not working at all. Please advise, it is very annoying.

Thank you.

atc98092

@MAGGIE75 

The first thing to check is if your router has changed its channel on the 2.4 GHz radio to an unsupported channel. I can't say precisely where that setting is, as every router/access point is different. But somewhere in its settings it has a channel assignment. Most likely it is set to Auto, which means the router can change the channel without your knowledge. For a Roku, the channel number must be between 1 and 11. Don't confuse the 5 GHz radio channel (if you have that capability), as those channel numbers are all higher than that. And your Express doesn't work on 5 GHz, so just make sure you're looking at the 2.4 GHz radio channel.

Dan

0 Kudos
Utes44
Reel Rookie

Same scenario here. Have had my Roku Premier for just over a year. Have attempted all the troubleshooting tips and none have helped.  Pretty frustrating when all my other brands of devices connect with no issues. If no solutions come soon from a “support team” here’s one customer that will be throwing a Roku in the trash and moving on to something different. Please Roku do what needs to be done to restore a loyal customer base. 

DianaVas

I have a Roku Premiere as well, just purchased in December 2020. Everything has been fine up until a week ago. Same issue. I’ve done multiple factory resets, WiFi restarts, and Moving the Roku around for better coverage, nothing has helped. It’s been a week now. This is very inconvenient. There have been no answers. I’m considering just buying an Amazon Fire Stick.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@DianaVas 

There hasn't been a firmware update for the Premiere since December 10. Roku hasn't done anything that has changed its network function. 

Your Premiere has a single band WiFi radio using the 2.4 GHz band. Roku devices will only see and connect to channels 1-11. Most routers don't have higher channels than that on 2.4 GHz, but there are some that also offer channels 12 and 13. By default most routers/access points are set to auto-select their channel, and it can change without your knowing it. If it chooses channels 12 or 13, your Roku can no longer see it.

So check your router/access point for its 2.4 GHz radio channel assignment. If it's set to auto, change it manually to 1, 6 or 11. Those are the three that in most cases provide the best signal, but depending on local interference you might need to try a different one. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Utes44
Reel Rookie

Thanks for responding and giving some suggestions. Unfortunately, I already checked the router and that lead me nowhere closer to a solution. Everything is showing as it should. Both 2.4 and 5.0 are available to manually select depending on what a device needs. Additionally, I have tried all channels 1 to 11 per a previous post I saw as I researched. I also tried moving my roku to another TV that has an appletv that works just fine whether I choose 2.4 or 5.0. Unfortunately nothing is solving the issue of the Roku not connecting.  I’m about a month over the one year warranty period so figure I’m out of luck at this point. Pretty dang frustrating. Have had no issues for a year and have really enjoyed the premier device. Unfortunately all of a sudden things went to **bleep** and what “seems” to be for no reason. Will probably just move on at this point to something different.  

0 Kudos
RobyCircus

I’m having the same issue. We have 5 Roku devices and none of them are working. I have 117 mbps in those rooms yet none can find my network. They pick up my neighbors network 200 yards away. This has to be resolved. It’s unacceptable. Your devices should work on a 5G network. Something you did messed up all of our Roku devices. Do something about it. I have. 5 Roku express. I have reset them all. Manual reset. Unplug for x amount of mins blah blah blah blah it’s not working. Danny you should start providing solutions for this instead of asking people what kind of Roku they have. Apparently this is an issue that many of us are having. Do something helpful. 

0 Kudos