Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pilandchris
Level 7

Roku media player help

Does anyone know how I can stream from my hd connected to my router WITHOUT using Roku media player? I’ve looked for channels and combed through all kinds of discussion boards and can find nothing. I have my usb drive going into my router (nighthawk) and my Roku hardwired right to the same router. It works with Roku’s media player using DLNA but honestly I can’t stand Roku media player. The menus are awful, it skips songs; and puts songs in the wrong order. Its so awful to me that I have recently just plugged my drive into the Roku directly and am using nowhere man usb  channel. Problem is obviously I can’t transfer files from my laptop to my drive through the network now. Using Plex is not an option as I don’t want to have to have a computer on all the time. Might as well build a proper NAS at that point. Or just buy a WDTV. help??
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dgrace
Level 9

Re: Roku media player mess

Take a look at this.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... it=Mymedia
I've used it for years to stream from my desktop to AVR and it works very well. It takes a little getting it set up but once running its solid. I'd think it would work fine for your router shared usb drive, as it only needs to be pointed to folder locations. It does need to be running on a computer, so that may not be what you're seeking.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ghb51
Level 9

I don't think there is a way to have functional dlna without a computer if you don't want to use RMP, as far as I know you'll still need Plex or Kodi or something similar even with a nas.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

RMP doesn't put the songs in any order, your router is doing that via its DLNA server. RMP displays the lists exactly as the server provides them. As to skipping songs, I can't say, as I don't play music with mine. And I agree that almost any other option is going to require a stand-alone DLNA server. Most routers do a pretty lousy job of it, and other than your menu issue could be the cause of your other complaints. There are a number of DLNA servers that can be installed to a NAS device. Plex and Emby are two well supported on a Roku, and don't require using RMP. Serviio (and others) can also be installed on a NAS, but RMP would still be the player used. 
Unfortunately, the Roku employee who was responsible for RMP just retired, so we don't know what sort of support will be available from now on.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Fwiw I use minidlna on openwrt to stream from my router and it works fine with RMP, so much so that I actually prefer it to Plex. Netgear dlna is Readydlna/Readymedia which I think is just their own roll of minidlna, so I don't know if you'd see any difference or not with stock minidlna, but if you have an extra router around that's Openwrt capable it might be worth a test.
0 Kudos
pilandchris
Level 7

Thanks for the replies everyone. so I did some tinkering in my router and got RMP to use the correct album order and even album artwork. Still skipping a song or two from random albums. If I let it start playing the song AFTER the skipped one and then hit “previous” it will play the song. So odd. Anyhoo I’m thinking it’s time to set up a proper NAS. just eliminate all the bs. Prob go with Plex.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Plex is a good choice, and offers a nice user interface on a Roku. I'm not certain how many different NAS products they support, but there are several. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos