Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Roku loses wired connection when internet goes down; then can't restore

Jump to solution

Whenever the internet goes down, which unfortunately it does now and then, the Roku loses the internet connection (it's wired) and says "No connection." It doesn't seem to matter what we do to try and restore the connection. We do hard and soft resets of the modem, and eventually, some combination works, but sometimes it takes days of trying. There is no pattern.

Our computers reboot and find the connection with no problems, but not the Roku. Also, we've checked the cable--plugging a laptop into the cable that goes to the Roku, we get internet, but not with Roku.

The weird thing is that after a bunch of different tries, it connects, but there is absolutely no pattern to what works and what doesn't. Why is it so unable to reconnect to the internet after the internet goes down and then comes back up? We always have to reset the modem, but that doesn't help Roku as a rule.

Is there a guaranteed way of getting the wired connection to work easily after the internet goes down and is restored? By the way, during one of those times, we bought a new Roku, thinking that maybe the old one was defective (after days of trying to reconnect) or had an intermittent problem. The new one also would not connect to the internet at that time, even though the internet was back up, the modem was working fine, all computers had internet and the cable to the Roku gave an internet connection to the laptop we tested it on. Brand new Roku wouldn't work, either. What gives? Are they that unreliable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 8

Re: Roku loses wired connection when internet goes down; then can't restore

Jump to solution

We're going to give that a try. We won't know for sure that it worked until the next time the internet goes down, but after the wonderful advice I've been getting here, I'm sure that is the issue. No router. We falsely thought the modem was also a router. We have an Airport Extreme sitting in the closet that my husband says we can turn off wifi and use wired, so we're going to set that up as directed. If we have further problems, I'll get back to you. I can't thank everyone who posted with suggestions enough. It's really great to find this kind of support for free!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 18

Jump to solution

Sounds to me more like youre getting bad packets. Who supplies your Internet? Is it truly a Modem?

I dont know what your setup is but you may need to get a Router and pipe the connection through it as well.

No this shouldnt be happening as you describe.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

Your network devices use a protocol called TCP/IP to communicate. One requirement is for each device to have a unique network "IP" address. This is a group of numbers with four segments, separated by periods. For home networks, the most common IP address range used is 192.168.0.x, with the x being a unique number between 1 and 254. Your Internet router is responsible for assigning these addresses using a protocol called DHCP. Normally, if your external Internet connection goes down, your internal network remains functional and the router continues to assign/renew the IP addresses of your devices. It sounds like your router, for reasons unknown, is not performing its DHCP duties if the external Internet connection goes down. 

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is ask my Internet service provider to replace my router. This is assuming it's their property and not something you bought. It doesn't seem to be doing its job correctly. If they refuse, or if it's something you own, I have plenty of other suggestions, but they all involve some work and networking expertise. Check back in if the problem isn't resolved with your ISP. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 8

Jump to solution

We own the modem/router (Motorola model MB 7420), so if it is not doing it's job, we have to figure it out. Any suggestions for proving the modem/router is the problem would be appreciated. Why would the problem only affect the Roku?

0 Kudos
Level 18

Jump to solution

Yes this is only a Modem I think you need a router as well....

The Ethernet port on the back should go to a Router and then whatever.

You can get one for under 100 bucks. I use a TP-Link currently.

Youll also be able to use wifi with your smart phones.

Which Model Roku do you have?

A router should fix it.

Good Luck let us know

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

I agree with @boogernose . Adding a new router between your modem (which is also acting as a router but apparently doing a poor job of it) and the rest of your network should isolate you from any issues with the loss of the Internet. I didn't suggest this at first because almost all routers you buy might use the same IP address range as your current modem/router, and that isn't permitted. 

The first thing to find out is what IP address range your current modem is issuing. Checking on your Roku is simple, as long as your network is working. Just go to Settings/network/about and see what the IP address is. Most likely it's 192.168.0.something. The new router you add will need to use something different. Linksys is one brand that often uses 192.168.1.x out of the box, but it isn't difficult to change any of them. Make sure the new router is using a different range, any range as long as the first three segments are not the same numbers. But don't just make up your own string of digits, as private networks are still supposed to use IP addresses that are specifically reserved for them.

You would connect the new router like this: any one of the Ethernet jacks on your current modem (assuming there's more than one) would connect to the Internet/WAN (could be labeled either way) jack on the new router. Then anything on your network (devices themselves or a network switch) would plug into the LAN jacks on the router. There are usually anywhere from 4-8 LAN jacks on most routers, not counting the WAN/Internet jack. Make sure everything is powered off before connecting the Ethernet cables, so that they will all get a new IP address from the new router and not attempt to use the one assigned previously from the old one.

As long as everything has a new IP address, and the two routers are using different IP address ranges, everything should now work. If you've done this and run into issues, send me a PM so we don't clutter up the forum with this off topic discussion. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ultra Roku Model 4660X2.

0 Kudos
Level 18

Jump to solution

Thats a good one. Probably if you get a decent Router your Internet  will stop

crashing as well.  This is what Im currently using;

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=361VR2YV4VQG3&...

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

We're going to give that a try. We won't know for sure that it worked until the next time the internet goes down, but after the wonderful advice I've been getting here, I'm sure that is the issue. No router. We falsely thought the modem was also a router. We have an Airport Extreme sitting in the closet that my husband says we can turn off wifi and use wired, so we're going to set that up as directed. If we have further problems, I'll get back to you. I can't thank everyone who posted with suggestions enough. It's really great to find this kind of support for free!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos