Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christopherowen
Channel Surfer

Roku loses connection to phone hotspot wifi when using apps

When using my phone as a wifi connection via hot spot to my Roku Streaming Stick+ for the TV in my RV, the "About" screen indicates the correct network name with Status "Connected" and Signal Strength "Excellent," but when I try to connect to any app it says I have a weak connection. Then when I check for connection it shows an X on Internet Connection. I have tried resetting Roku and dozens of other things. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku loses connection to phone hotspot wifi when using apps

Hi @christopherowen,

It sounds like your Roku device may be having trouble connecting to your phone hot spot. 
We would also suggest checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips to see if it resolves your issue here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku ... 

Please be aware that we do not recommend using mobile hotspots considering they are generally not as reliable as home broadband.

Check out this link for more info: Do I need a high-speed internet connection? | Official Roku Support 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
christopherowen
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply Mary.

I understand what you say about Roku not working so well with Hot Spot as home WiFi. The whole benefit of HotSpot is to be able to use wifi connect outside the home. RV is one example. Can Roku build a device that works better with Hot Spot when the connection is "excellent"? 

I will try with Amazon Fire Stick for better results. They may have done the RD to design a better product. 

Regards,

Christopher Owen 

0 Kudos
Bimbo

0 Kudos