Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sa2021p
Level 7

Roku is unable to find my wifi (works on my second roku tv)

my roku device stopped connecting to the internet by itself.

I have reset the modem and done exactly as stated in the frequently asked questions.

I would appreciate ion you could help me to set my roku remote so that I can watch the Tv

please adviseI I am very disappointed since the wireless MAC address is displayed on the screen.

I have disabled the ping network as well but nothing seems to be helping

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku is unable to find my wifi (works on my second roku tv)

@sa2021p 

Which model Roku is having the issue? Model number and Roku software version are always helpful. Settings > System > About

Some Roku devices are 2.4 GHz only. Some ISPs have turned off 2.4 GHz on their routers, while others have changed the settings. Comcast is notorious for changing the 2.4 GHz settings to g/n rather than b/g/n. If that's what has happened, change it back to b/g/n.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sa2021p
Level 7

@DBDukes wrote:

@sa2021p 

Which model Roku is having the issue? Model number and Roku software version are always helpful. Settings > System > About

Some Roku devices are 2.4 GHz only. Some ISPs have turned off 2.4 GHz on their routers, while others have changed the settings. Comcast is notorious for changing the 2.4 GHz settings to g/n rather than b/g/n. If that's what has happened, change it back to b/g/n.

hello - I have roku express - model number 3900RW. thank you very much for trying to help me

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@sa2021p 

That model is a 2.4 GHz band only device. If your ISP maintains your router, ensure it is set for b/g/n and not g/n as some ISPs will do (particularly Comcast/Xfinity).

DBDukes

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@sa2021p-

@DBDukes wrote:

@sa2021p 

That model is a 2.4 GHz band only device.

To expand on this part of @DBDukes' reply:

Roku Express is a lower end unit with single band Wi-Fi radio that only supports the 2.4 GHz band.  They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it.  If you have one of these Roku models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on. (There have been reports lately of updates to the router shutting off the router's 2.4 GHz band, especially with equipment supplied by internet providers.)

Within the 2.4 GHz band, Rokus support channels 1-11 as are used in North America.  If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range. 

Users without the ability to set these router parameters themselves have had to contact their provider to get these changes made or in some cases have the router replaced with a new one.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos
rcn
Level 7

Two weeks ago my Roku wouldn't connect to my wifi.  It was working the next morning.  Two days ago, it started acting up again.  It doesn't find any wifi.  I have 3 other rokus/roku tv that are working fine.  It is a 3920RW - Roku Premiere.  YH00D0953785

0 Kudos
sa2021p
Level 7

i have had this same roku for two years and it worked on my other two tvs but just not on this one tv - can someone offer a solution? i called verizon and they think roku unit must be bad - i am considering getting a wifi extended but my phone is working in the same spot

0 Kudos
sa2021p
Level 7

yes of course i called verizon and the 2.4 is on - they showed it to me on the gateway site and they think its a roku issue - any help is appreciated 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@sa2021p 

Some ISPs have changed from b/g/n to g/n which will impact connectivity. How about your router settings?

DBDukes

0 Kudos