Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mekaylamackey
Level 7

Roku is not connecting to home wifi

After restarting the Roku a bunch of times and my home wifi router, the Roku still will not connect to my home's wifi. I need help with why that is happening.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: Roku is not connecting to home wifi

May need to configure your wireless network settings from within your router to be compatible with your roku device.  You should google how to change your particular router's settings or post back with your router model number and roku model.   Normally, it is a simple wireless channel issue, but could be other things as well. 

Basic Router/Network Configuration for Roku Devices (Wireless Settings)

2.4gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set Channel between 1-11, not Auto, 12, 13, or 14, Protocols/Mode set to b/g/n, Bandwidth 20Mhz.

5gz network band..... Radio Enabled/On, set channel 36-48 or 149-161, not Auto or any channel 52thru140, Protocols/Mode set to N/AC, Bandwidth 20mhz  or 20/40.

Express and Premiere use the 2.4gz band, all other Roku models can use either the 2.4gz or 5gz bands of your network.

Roku's misc. connection troubleshooting... https://support.roku.com/article/208755728

Post back your results (error codes and models) or if you need more help.

makaiguy
Level 20

What model Roku is this?  (Settings/System/About)

To expand on something mentioned by @AvsGunnar , current Roku models Express/Express+,  Premiere/Premiere+ are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other older devices of all sorts, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have such a model make sure your router's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band is active.

There have been reports lately of routers supplied by internet providers having the 2.4 GHz band shut down by an update from the provider. They have needed to have their provider turn 2.4 GHz back on or swap in a new router to fix it.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
magnus523
Level 7

I pursued this question a few days ago and now it appears that others are having the same problem.  I have two suddenly nonworking Rokus. I wonder if it's a problem with our provider (We're with Spectrum).

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

There was a Spectrum problem not too long ago where people had to get a new modem from Spectrum before their previously working Roku would connect again.

0 Kudos
Brandydancer
Level 7

I’m having the same problem 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @Brandydancer,

Thanks for the post.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home ... - Roku
We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
delroy566
Level 7

My Roku Premier suddenly stopped connecting to my home network.  All other devices can connect without any issues.  I have manually set to broadcast for 2.4 and 5GHz and to various channels, reset the access point multiple times, reboot my domain controller, factory reset my device, created a new SSID for the device, amongst other things, and all have failed to resolve the problem.  The interesting thing is if I turn on my mobile hotspot I can connect to that.  The device just doesn't see the SSID even when all security is turned off.

Adding the credentials for the private network config does not resolve the issue.  Nothing changed on the network side but I think the Roku updated to version 9.4.  

I have other Roku devices in my house and those are connected, although they have started to have frequent disconnections.  

Based on all the reports in this forum and over the internet the issue seems to be the Roku device itself although some have made it work through various configuration changes to their network.  Is there a solution to this issue for Roku Premier devices connecting to a Ubiquity 802.11AC Pro?  This feels like Roku is pushing out untested updates.  Without a solution, it looks like my family and I will need to trash these devices and move in another direction.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

It's always best to give the model number and not the name.  There have been multiple "Premiere" models and some support 5GHz and some don't.  Have you tried any router configuration changes?  Try disabling 802.11b mode in the 2.4GHz band if possible.  If you can use 5GHz then use a channel below 50 or above 148.

0 Kudos
Barb5
Level 7

I was having the same problem until I unplugged my router and restarted it. Now my Roku is connected to the the WiFi .

0 Kudos