Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Girl_Doodle
Level 8

Roku is killing my Internet?!

Okay, so this is some serious twilight zone stuff. I have been using a Roku box at my new house for about 4 months. Every single month the Wi-Fi completely dies. I have to call the internet service provider for them to do a reboot on their end which fixes it. I decided to try using a firestick since I was suspicious. For the 2 months I use the firestick I had no internet interruptions. Last week I went and purchased a new Roku ultra and within two days my internet went down. Has anyone seen this before?!? It is way too bizarre. What makes me wonder is even when the TV is off the Roku light is always blinking like crazy. I never have any problems connecting the Roku to my wireless but for some reason once a month it kills it. Note: I'm not referring to the internet dying on the Roku, I mean completely going down.
10 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Roku is killing my Internet?!

Try setting your resolution down.,

Settings/Display type>>720p.

You didnt mention what kind of router or net connection you have

but a lot of problems get solved with new better Routers.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
PJazzy2020
Level 7

Right, so buy a $25.00 Roku and a $200.00 router. Got it.

boogernose
Level 18

My Router cost around 75 bucks.

An Ultra cost about the same.

All you net service is doing is sending a signal

which causes your

present Modem to reboot. All you need to do is unplug/replug it.

0 Kudos
Girl_Doodle
Level 8

This doesn't make any sense. The fix was a new router. Both items were over $100, so really don't understand this comment. 

Rebooting the router or roku never worked. 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Actually nuch of what you say doesnt make sense to me either.

Lets get a divorce. Bye

0 Kudos
Mike996
Level 7

Have you found a solution to this?

My whole internet goes down every time I connect my Sharp Roku TV. To get it back up, I need to disconnect the TV and restart my modem. Basically I can’t use my Roku TV.

0 Kudos
mkdwns
Level 7

Did this ever get fixed? Same exact thing happens to me. I've updated my router from Netgear nighthawk to Google nest wifi, but it didn't fix anything.

When I use my roku stick it kills my internet connection. I monitor the traffic, and the roku isn't using an excess amount. but the network stops accepting connections and everything that's connected loses internet connection.

My roku TV that is physically connected to the network doesn't have this problem.

Abarnett
Level 7

I’m also curious, I just received a Roku premier and everything worked fine, until I came home today and my iPhone wouldn’t connect and every time I entered the correct password it would tel me that it was incorrect. I ended up just unplugging the roku device for now so I can get online with said iPhone to find a solution.  

0 Kudos
opnchaudhary
Level 7

Are you getting this issue with any of the channels you watch or a specific channel?
I am facing similar issue. My whole network goes down. It happens because of one specific channel only. It doesn't happen with other channels. 

Device used: Roku Express

Regards
Paras Nath Chaudhary

Blog: https://parasnath.com.np/blog/
0 Kudos