Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgsam73

Re: Roku is eating up Bandwidth

Thats not true I just used it last night.  you have to push the bottoms quick.  today's date is 4/9/20

0 Kudos
RickeyP

Are you saying making the change manually doesn't do anything because I changed mine using that method from 12 to 3.5

0 Kudos
timetraveller
Channel Surfer

Nothing has changed here. Still no ability to set bandwidth.

My device, a Roku Premiere less than a year old. Latest update has been applied. 9.3.0 Build 4170

Tried the 5-3-2 hack again, setting bandwidth to a low value. Says changed, but the next time you check it it's back to "Automatic" again. Tried streaming, just in case it did work, but streaming speed is still high, as verified by a network speed monitor app.

Late versions of the Roku OS have disabled that 5-3-2 hack. Check your Roku O/S version.

At least that's the case here.

0 Kudos

that does not work 

0 Kudos
Jennteague

i was told by AT&T the roku is pulling our data because they do not turn off and are running in the back ground, because all i do is run mine off my hotspot maybe 3-4 hrs everynight aand called asking HOW with only that am i using more than 100GIGS in less than a month.. roku dont turn off is why!

0 Kudos
timetraveller
Channel Surfer

Jennteague,

Yes, that can happen if you leave the Roku on a channel that is streaming, turn the TV off and go to bed. Be sure to always set the Roku to "Home" - simply press the Home button. That way no streaming is happening. You don't need to power it off then.

0 Kudos
King2

We bought our Roku about a month ago and went over our limit on our viasat account. This never happened before on our Visio. Like a previous post.... Nothing changed until we bout our roku. So, I found This forum tonight and tried the "pattern" keys. I found the secret menu and the tv allowed me to changed the 12 mbps to 1.5 mbps. Figures crossed it works. 

0 Kudos
timetraveller
Channel Surfer

Let us know if that works for you. But I suspect if you check the setting again it will be reset back to "Automatic".

0 Kudos
mullettlk

You might have tried the 5-3-2 trick but there is no way to save it and it always goes back to automatic as has been stated here before. Not supported and does not work. Believe me I tried several times.

0 Kudos
TexOkie
Reel Rookie

I too have a Roku that is eating up bandwidth. I have two identical Roku Ultra LT models that came from Walmart. One is on a 32“ Visio running at 720 dpi and the other is on a Samsung 65” running at 1080P. They both have they turn off in 4 hours set up on Hulu, but the Samsung is burning through bandwidth while the Visio is hardly using any at all. The source of the data is Cox Communications app that shows relative bandwidth from device to device. You don’t get a bps reading, just a high or low reading and a display of bars with a percentage. Note that they both say very high, but the Family Room accounts for 82% of the data per day. 
32E14B4C-6D2A-45CF-A2F9-864C96F11D03.jpeg998EAFD3-24E1-460F-905C-9E8BC0798B3B.jpeg

0 Kudos