Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku failed to detect wifi suddenly

Hi

My Roku device suddenly failed to detect the wifi. I have restarted my Roku device and also the wifi modem. I could connect the wifi to all other devices such as my mobile phone, laptop but couldn’t connect to Roku device. Can anyone assist?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku failed to detect wifi suddenly

One possible explanation is the WiFi has changed channels and it's now using one that Roku doesn't support. This can only happen on a 5 GHz connection, so if yours is only 2.4 GHz, then that's not it. Exactly which Roku model do you have?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Hi thanks for the reply. I have Roku Express 2018 edition. 3900R HDMI TV Media Streamer. I just bought this before 20-30 days.

Is it fixable? If so, how? Please assist.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well, that shot my theory. The 3900 doesn't support 5 GHz, so that's not it. You might go into the Roku settings menu and find the Network Reset. That basically blasts all your network settings away and lets you start from scratch. But it doesn't touch any other of your personal settings. After that, all I can think of is a hard system reset. That wipes your device back to factory default, so everything has to be set back up. If neither of these steps works then I think your device might be defective. Unusual but not impossible. 
Question: does it see any other networks available, such as a neighbor or a phone hotspot? If it sees absolutely nothing, then it's likely defective. But if it is seeing other networks, then it's time to dig more deeply into your access point. If it's only 30 days old, and purchased new, Roku should honor a warranty on it. However, the 3900 is not a current version, so you might need to contact where you bought it and inquire what their support might be.
For what it's worth, I have a number of Roku devices, one 7 years old, and I've never encountered a problem with the WiFi, so I don't think it's a common occurrence. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Hi Thanks for your information.

Yes Roku detects my neighbour’s connections except for mine.

For network reset, it asks for connecting to a network to begin with - which is the problem in this case.

How do I do the hard system reset?
0 Kudos

Hi

I have now tried to reset the network with no luck and then did a factory reset to start again completely. Now the first step is to identify a network and the Roku device does not still recognise my wifi but recognises 15 other wifi’s nearby Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well darn. That sounds like a defective Roku then. There's really nothing else to try. Check with where you purchased it to see if they'll replace it, and I would also contact Roku support (that's not what this forum is) and check on a warranty replacement. 
Dan
0 Kudos

Thanks I’ll do that.
0 Kudos
U00bjf6
Level 7

My hitachi roku tv drops the internet connection I cannot seem to stream my shows. I have two other tv’s that are not effected. Can anyone help with this connection issue?
0 Kudos