Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku express won’t connect with remote

I inherited a roku model3930x but it doesn’t have a remote. I’m trying to set it up on my other tv, I also have roku streaming stick but the remote for that doesn’t work on it. I can’t use the roku app until I can connect it to my wifi. How do I connect the device to wifi without the remote or get my new remote to work on it. I see there is a manual set up but without the remote I can’t find the IP address?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku express won’t connect with remote

You need a remote.  Go to any big box store and find a universal remote that supports Roku.  The remote for the stick won't work with an Express.

0 Kudos
Level 19

Re: Roku express won’t connect with remote

The 3930 is the current Roku Express, initially released in 2019.  Networkable devices don't have an innate IP number, as they are only assigned an IP from the router when they get connected to the local network.

The only way to connect a Roku to a new network is by using a compatible remote.

The Express comes with a simple infrared (IR) direct line-of-site remote.  Any inexpensive universal IR remote that says it controls Roku devices could be used to set up and subsequently control the Express.  Check at your local Walmart, Target, or Dollar store.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos