Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SouthernBelle97
Level 7

Roku express won’t connect to my hotspot

I got my roku express(2019 edition) just over a month ago. I connect to my phones hotspot and it was working fine. But now I tried getting it to connect and it wouldn’t. I would get the green check mark on wireless(most of the time) but not for the internet and I kept getting the .009 error which from what I read means it can’t connect to the internet(obviously). I tried turning my hotspot off and back on, restarting the roku and restarting my phone and nothing worked. After an hour I tried just resetting the networks all together to delete all the saved networks and now it won’t even find my hotspot for me to TRY to connect to it again. I don’t know what to do anymore and I REALLY need some help!!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku express won’t connect to my hotspot

@SouthernBelle97 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Have you tried to connect your device to an alternate network or another mobile hotspot? You might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

If you are still having issues connecting to your network, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Jennlister
Level 7

Hi there,

I am having a similar issue as the user above. I purchased a roku Express a couple of hours ago and upon setting up it has no problem connecting to my hotspot, however it immediately says it needs a software update and then an error code comes up, error 003. Ive tried restarting both my phone and roku and changed the password and no change. I have a roku 2 that is connected to my hotspot so i dont know what the issue is. My roku 2 is 10 years old and freezes all the time and hulu no longer is compatible with it which is why i purchased a new roku this evening, however i dont know if you can help or if i need to return it. Please help!

Jenn

0 Kudos
Paola
Level 7

Why is my Roku not counting with m’y hotpot 

0 Kudos